Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So it looks as though we're going to have an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Consider how it would look, though. Not brave enough to force a Vote of No Confidence or agree to an election - essentially keeping a Tory Government in place by refusing to go to the polls. Not sure how you come back from that. Basically, if the Government throws down the gauntlet, the Opposition pretty much has to accept the challenge or become a laughing stock.
    Good for the country. We have the worst government for 40+ years and that's only possible because we have the worst opposition in living memory. This should finish off the opposition and hopefully replace it with one that holds the government to some form of account.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Meanwhile, Labour - who have been screaming for an election now for 12 months and will currently complain to anyone who'll listen about our 'unelected' PM - are suddenly talking about not voting for an election because they're pretty sure Boris will walk it.
    This could be possibly Labour's most incoherent position yet, surpassing even their stunning 'we will negotiate a new Brexit deal and then campaign against it' shítshow.
    Looks like Boris was talked out of calling a GE by someone...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Looks like Boris was talked out of calling a GE by someone...
    Well he can't call an election......needs 2/3 of parliament to vote for it or he needs to get rid of the fixed term Parliamant (majority of 1) to enable him to call one when he likes
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I think we need to check with Gina Miller first to see if an election is ok with her imo

Quote Originally Posted by tony c View Post
    i think we need to check with gina miller first to see if an election is ok with her imo
    looooool!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Well he can't call an election......needs 2/3 of parliament to vote for it or he needs to get rid of the fixed term Parliamant (majority of 1) to enable him to call one when he likes
    Can someone summarise this mess for me, please? I have lost interest in this story which has now been going on for years.

MPs have put this legislation forward that will mean Boris has to ask the EU to extend the deadline to 31/01 (if it wins, as expected). Boris will then call a GE (or not as I have read in other places?) in the hope of essentially ignoring this legislation (rather makes a mockery of legislation).

If he does hold a GE and wins then will he not be in the same issue as he is now? If he loses then we'll likely remain with Comrade Corbyn at the helm?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Can someone summarise this mess for me, please? I have lost interest in this story which has now been going on for years.

MPs have put this legislation forward that will mean Boris has to ask the EU to extend the deadline to 31/01 (if it wins, as expected). Boris will then call a GE (or not as I have read in other places?) in the hope of essentially ignoring this legislation (rather makes a mockery of legislation).

If he does hold a GE and wins then will he not be in the same issue as he is now? If he loses then we'll likely remain with Comrade Corbyn at the helm?
    I saw the most amazing interview with this Barry Gardiner chap who assured me that the country did not vote to leave with no deal. He seemed utterly certain that this was true.

Funny because when I voted I saw a Remain option and a Leave option with no qualification for either. If I voted Remain and the EU took decisions I didn't like, I was stuck with it. If I voted Leave and I didn't like the way we left, I was stuck with it. I was pretty certain that how it was going to work, wouldn't someone have to be awfully thick to think otherwise?

I now we have a situation where the only offer from the EU has been rejected by Parliament 3 times so the only options left are to Remain or to Leave with no deal. And yet somehow Parliament have convinced themselves leaving with no deal is not what the public want.

Honestly, you couldn't make this lot up if you tried.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I saw the most amazing interview with this Barry Gardiner chap who assured me that the country did not vote to leave with no deal. He seemed utterly certain that this was true.

Funny because when I voted I saw a Remain option and a Leave option with no qualification for either. If I voted Remain and the EU took decisions I didn't like, I was stuck with it. If I voted Leave and I didn't like the way we left, I was stuck with it. I was pretty certain that how it was going to work, wouldn't someone have to be awfully thick to think otherwise?

I now we have a situation where the only offer from the EU has been rejected by Parliament 3 times so the only options left are to Remain or to Leave with no deal. And yet somehow Parliament have convinced themselves leaving with no deal is not what the public want.

I voted Leave and that's what I expected to happen. It really didn't seem much more complicated than that. In fact, I assumed we'd leave with no deal and would then negotiate separate deals

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

I am not sure that the leave campaign really thought things through (EU not letting them have their way on the Irish border issue/divorce bill/where numbers like £350m a week/month/year for the NHS actually came from). The vast majority certainly wouldn't have a clue about the consequences of leaving without a deal.

All of the above takes this back to Cameron. How he decided to let the people make decisions that most are too ill-informed to make is beyond me. Do we not have MPs for exactly this reason - to make the sensible decisions for the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    All of the above takes this back to Cameron. How he decided to let the people make decisions that most are too ill-informed to make is beyond me. Do we not have MPs for exactly this reason - to make the sensible decisions for the country?
    The UK is a democracy, not an electocracy, r. Well, I think it might be a democratic system we have...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”