Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Trafford test match

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No-one else in the squad can, certainly. I suppose the question is whether someone currently outside the squad would be any better?
    Ollie Pope is a magnificent batsman. I know it didn't work out last time around but he is only 22 and should be persisted with. He will be a fantastic player for England one day; I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Ollie Pope is a magnificent batsman. I know it didn't work out last time around but he is only 22 and should be persisted with. He will be a fantastic player for England one day; I have no doubt.
    I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.

I would certainly support trying to mould a young batsman into test cricket over trying to shoehorn a 30 year-old journeyman county pro who can't play short bowling into the slot or trying to turn a white-ball batsman into a red-ball one.
    Pope is actually only 21. Averages 59 in 28 First Class matches. He was educated at Cranleigh, too. A couple of good friends went there and I can vouch for them being top blokes.

Denly, isn't it? Because apparently fluking your way to a streaky 50 is sufficient qualification to open the batting for England now.
    Least he did it against a red ball, B. Previous incumbent got the job because of some exceptional slogging against the white.

Whoever moved the CCC to the start and end of the season so there are no cabs revving on the ranks mid-test series really needs to ge taken out and shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Least he did it against a red ball, B. Previous incumbent got the job because of some exceptional slogging against the white.

Whoever moved the CCC to the start and end of the season so there are no cabs revving on the ranks mid-test series really needs to ge taken out and shot.
    The fact is that the obsession with winning the World Cup has had a deleterious effect on our test team.

That's usually enough, to be fair.

By the way, I fully anticipate all this 'momentum' guff about Australia still carrying the psychological scar of Headingley turning out to be total balls and for them to come out swinging.
    Yep - with a fresh Starc coming into the side as well. Although he could just leak a lot of runs which would go against their ethos of keeping it tight so far this series. Would probably have them favourites but who knows

Denly, isn't it? Because apparently fluking your way to a streaky 50 is sufficient qualification to open the batting for England now.
    Apparently confirmed that Denly is opening with Roy moving to 4........could work, I guess. One hell of a middle order, if the openers can hang around for a bit

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Apparently confirmed that Denly is opening with Roy moving to 4........could work, I guess. One hell of a middle order, if the openers can hang around for a bit
    Which day(s) are you going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Which day(s) are you going on?
    Friday and Saturday, looks like I won't see much cricket on the Friday but at least that's the all expenses paid day

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Friday and Saturday, looks like I won't see much cricket on the Friday but at least that's the all expenses paid day
    Nice - was just looking at the forecast. Annoying as I have the office to myself on Friday so was hoping to just shut the door and turn the radio on