Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So today is my birthday and after work I shall dine at Hawksmoor. Two questions:

So today is my birthday and after work I shall dine at Hawksmoor. Two questions:

1. Which cut/weight of meat should I feast on?
    2. Good bars in the vicinity of Seven Dials that I could visit pre-dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. You need the bone marrow on the side, naturally. A Shakey Pete's is a great cocktail to get you started.

As for bars... you know where Seven Dials is, do you? It's, like, Covent Garden, dude. There's a bar every 10 paces or so.

Happy birthday R.

1. A **** off big one
    2. Always been a fan of the Two Brewers on Monmouth Street - can get a bit packed but proper old school pub. End of Endell Street, the Craft Beer Co has a rather fine selection if you want that sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. You need the bone marrow on the side, naturally. A Shakey Pete's is a great cocktail to get you started.

As for bars... you know where Seven Dials is, do you? It's, like, Covent Garden, dude. There's a bar every 10 paces or so.
    Appreciate the recommendations. There are bars and there a good bars. Was going to go to Radio Rooftop but went once and it was a bit ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Happy birthday R.

1. A **** off big one
    2. Always been a fan of the Two Brewers on Monmouth Street - can get a bit packed but proper old school pub. End of Endell Street, the Craft Beer Co has a rather fine selection if you want that sort of thing
    Thank you. I’m with the fiancée so not sure what she’ll make of an old school boozer. Talking of them though, can I just make mention of Ye Olde Watling oh Watling St (on corner of Bow Lane).

Thank you. I’m with the fiancée so not sure what she’ll make of an old school boozer. Talking of them though, can I just make mention of Ye Olde Watling oh Watling St (on corner of Bow Lane).
    You may - fine pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Check what's chalked on the boards. I'd be inclined to go for the Porterhouse. Minimum 350 grams, 500 for preference. .
    I think you are working on pre-decimal Do you want the man to gnaw on a bone? 750g minimum, 1kg for preference. I assume he'll be sharing. A Porterhouse at 350g is a T-bone, no?

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    I think you are working on pre-decimal Do you want the man to gnaw on a bone? 750g minimum, 1kg for preference. I assume he'll be sharing. A Porterhouse at 350g is a T-bone, no?
    Apologies, I was thinking in net terms.

Dunno about bars, but I like pubs with a bit of atmosphere or character such as the Cross Keys on Endell Street, Lamb & Flag on Rose Street, and the Porterhouse on Maiden Lane which is huge but has lots of little snugs.

LA already mentioned the poncey craft beer place which might be more your kind of thing.

A man who knows steak would order the ribeye, grain fed beef, of course. None of this grass fed nonsense.

With chips, preferably truffled. And creamed spinach.

The perfect steak dinner.