Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: There was this chap. A calm and dignified gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    No, it's the bit west of Shoreham (Kent, rather than -on-Sea) which, for some reason, I have never fully investigated. It was also, over a hot bank holiday weekend, entirely devoid of other people.

I had a similar experience with biycyles on the coast path between Whitstable and Herne Bay recently. The worst culprits seemed to be parents with young children, as yet unable to steer properly. The parents' concern is always 100% for the child, not the ankles and shins they are assaulting.

Did I mention that we're going to try the Northumberland coast in October? Just for a change. And some seafood. That's what Cumbria lacks, you know. Decent seafood restaurants.
    South of Eynsford in the Darent Valley? Wooded hills up the the West? Beautiful spot. I used to drive around there when I was a yoot when I was supposed to be revising for A-Levels. Haven't been back since, though, except for a walk in the valley last year, I think.
    Scenes from the What Wants The World? video by The Stranglers were shot around there.

I'd like to try Northumberland one day too. Though not for the sea food. :wheeze:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    He was our greatest manager and the heart and soul of our club. He embodied the values to which we were supposed to admire. Honesty, integrity, decency, loyalty. Forebearance, perseverance, steadfastness.

We discarded him like a used tissue because we needed someone 'better' who would make sure we didn't get gubbed at Anfield.

Oh.
    Discarded him? He died of pneumonia C

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    South of Eynsford in the Darent Valley? Wooded hills up the the West? Beautiful spot. I used to drive around there when I was a yoot when I was supposed to be revising for A-Levels. Haven't been back since, though, except for a walk in the valley last year, I think.
    Scenes from the What Wants The World? video by The Stranglers were shot around there.

I'd like to try Northumberland one day too. Though not for the sea food. :wheeze:
    There is a line of valleys running north/south. Simply stunning in the sunshine.

Mrs c is keen on the coastal walking and reckons there are hills not far inland as well. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Welllll Sir C.
    I thank Arsenal actually. You'd be amazed how much decorating I got done during the 2nd half of our match.
    I arrived home and considered switching it on. Checked twitter. 0-0. Looked at twitter again. 1-0. Didn't bother with the telly.

You should do Hadrian's Wall. I've always fancied doing Hadrian's Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The place we're lloking at is actually north of Hadrian's Wall. Imagine that! Definitely got to be worth a visit.

A fine idea in theory, but the trouble with long point-to-point walks, even if you hire sherpas to take your luggage to the next cosy inn, is that if the weather is really, really sh1t you can't just give it a swerve and maybe try again tomorrow, as you're already booked at the next place. I'd like to do the coast-to-coast but for that.

A fine idea in theory, but the trouble with long point-to-point walks, even if you hire sherpas to take your luggage to the next cosy inn, is that if the weather is really, really sh1t you can't just give it a swerve and maybe try again tomorrow, as you're already booked at the next place. I'd like to do the coast-to-coast but for that.
    I did the coast-to-coast (on a bike, obviously), was mostly enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    I did the coast-to-coast (on a bike, obviously), was mostly enjoyable

Luggage? Does one not simply live out of a rucksack?

And as we all know, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

Luggage? Does one not simply live out of a rucksack?

And as we all know, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.
    Not when there are ladies in the party. They need more stuff, you know.

And I'll wager this keyboard mountaineer has never gone over Grey Knotts in torrential rain and five yard visibility and when safely down on Honnister Pass the road turns into a river etc etc.

And of course, warming up by the fire in the pub is a lot easier when there are some dry clothes to change into.