Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginning to like this manager.......

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    To draw out the opposition from their formation and shape, thicko 🙄
    Hmmm - but surely that is merely a means to an end.

I would have thought the important metric would be a comparison of the % of time the team taking a goal kick retain possession when it is lumped down the pitch v the % of time the team playing out from the back retain possession until they cross midfield (or something like that).

I'd think even that even teams that aren't that good at it would still find it worked in their favour.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Hmmm - but surely that is merely a means to an end.

I would have thought the important metric would be a comparison of the % of time the team taking a goal kick retain possession when it is lumped down the pitch v the % of time the team playing out from the back retain possession until they cross midfield (or something like that).

I'd think even that even teams that aren't that good at it would still find it worked in their favour.
    Mind you, you'd have to factor in how often playing out from the back resulted in giving the ball away in a terrible position.

Mind you, you'd have to factor in how often playing out from the back resulted in giving the ball away in a terrible position.
    Post reported to Petr Cech
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    To draw out the opposition from their formation and shape, thicko 🙄
    I don't like the new rule where our defenders can go in the box.
    it actually draws more pressure on us.

we can't be doing this against liverpool. However David Luiz is gonna hit long balls to Pepe and Aubameyang and will leave victorius. then I woke up.

How did we used to get the ball to our midfield?

can't we do it that way again.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    To Monty's (succinctly put) point, I do get why but not sure the possible benefit outweighs the cost
    If you keep the ball you're 80 yards from their goal, if you lose it they're 20 yards from yours, it's awesome

Actually there's no harm in trying it, there's also no shame in admitting you can't play your way out every time so just hoof it. Even for a throw in sometimes.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

A = % of time we retain possession after goal kick
    B = % of time we generate a chance from possession around midfield
    C = % of time opposition generate a chance from possession around midfield
    D = % of time playing out from back results in possession around midfield for us
    E = % of time playing out from back results in conceding possession in a dangerous position
    F = % of time conceding possession in a dangerous position results in a chance for the opposition
    G = % of time a chance is converted*

If A*B*G - (1 -A)*C*G < (D*B*G - (1-D-E)*C*G - E*F*G) then you should play out from the back

*assuming this is the same for both teams, can't be bothered not making this assumption
    Last edited by WES; 08-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

Keeper hoofs it 60 yards, oppo defender/midfielder heads it straight back to Arsenal player. Genius George Graham
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

At least we haven't conceded any calamitous goals from the fashionable tactic like wot Liverpool have done *

Might have but can't remember
    10 characters? Pile of cund.