Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith out - wd Jofra

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Ironically, despite Stokes saying he wouldn't bat above 6 (and I swear on Ganpati that the article did exist), he bats at 5 and scores a ton. Might as well open with Leach. He couldn't do any worse than Roy and that would make space for the fifth seamer. I'd like to see Leach as a night-watchman. Perhaps he saves his batting for tests? Thought it was silly for YJB to slog himself out in the first innings when Leach was still there on six.

Maybe not being a slogger, and therefore unlikely to get an IPL contract, he's an old fashioned no.11 spinner who just works in the nets on just playing the forward defensive and the leave. I miss those.

Pity we can't fit young Sam Curran in. Denly?

Burns
    Leach
    S Curran
    Root
    Stokes.
    YJB
    Other JB
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad
    Jimmy.
    Do you ever do terse?

No offense, like, but I don't read your posts any more. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Ironically, despite Stokes saying he wouldn't bat above 6 (and I swear on Ganpati that the article did exist), he bats at 5 and scores a ton. Might as well open with Leach. He couldn't do any worse than Roy and that would make space for the fifth seamer. I'd like to see Leach as a night-watchman. Perhaps he saves his batting for tests? Thought it was silly for YJB to slog himself out in the first innings when Leach was still there on six.

Maybe not being a slogger, and therefore unlikely to get an IPL contract, he's an old fashioned no.11 spinner who just works in the nets on just playing the forward defensive and the leave. I miss those.

Pity we can't fit young Sam Curran in. Denly?

Burns
    Leach
    S Curran
    Root
    Stokes.
    YJB
    Other JB
    Woakes
    Archer
    Broad
    Jimmy.
    Yeah - I hadn't noticed Stokes had come in above Buttler on Saturday (it was a long day) but definitely the right decision. I think 5 is probably as high as he should bat. Agree about the Bairstow shot in the first innings but there was also a feeling we wanted to bowl at them as quickly as possible in those conditions. Batted well in the second innings as well and Headingley to come ... Curran for Denly was mooted before the last Test - might happen. We need to win and I struggle to see Denly getting big runs

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yeah - I hadn't noticed Stokes had come in above Buttler on Saturday (it was a long day) but definitely the right decision. I think 5 is probably as high as he should bat. Agree about the Bairstow shot in the first innings but there was also a feeling we wanted to bowl at them as quickly as possible in those conditions. Batted well in the second innings as well and Headingley to come ... Curran for Denly was mooted before the last Test - might happen. We need to win and I struggle to see Denly getting big runs
    As someone said the other day, Denly is just Vince, but older.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    As someone said the other day, Denly is just Vince, but older.
    Better fielder though - some catch the other day

Better fielder though - some catch the other day
    True. That plus his regulation nicely-made 20 followed by an unforced error still isn't enough to keep him in the side, though.

True. That plus his regulation nicely-made 20 followed by an unforced error still isn't enough to keep him in the side, though.
    Not at all. Just looking at the current round of county scores - not many batsmen jumping out though

Just been hit on the head again in the nets by Mitchell Starc
    I did chuckle when he got hit first ball on Sunday. No sooner had the commentator finished saying ‘concussion substitute’, and down he went.

Not at all. Just looking at the current round of county scores - not many batsmen jumping out though
    I think we ought to get the most promising youngsters in and train them to test cricket before they develop the terrible habits of seasoned county pros. Nothing about our game annoys me more than us finally discovering a decent bat and then realising he's already 28 and will have six years tops playing tests.

I think we ought to get the most promising youngsters in and train them to test cricket before they develop the terrible habits of seasoned county pros. Nothing about our game annoys me more than us finally discovering a decent bat and then realising he's already 28 and will have six years tops playing tests.
    haha- yes. We should get Sibley in for one thing. Only 23 (but just got 0 and 9 in his latest match). Pope possibly when he is fit and Crawley at Kent (but again the whole team was bowled out for 40 today ffs)

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Do you ever do terse?

No offense, like, but I don't read your posts any more. Sorry.
    Is he suggesting we bat S Curran at 3?