Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denly Out, Curran in a sensible plan imo

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Sorry - didn't see your reply about the Times interview. Having a look. Don't disbelieve you - just think it is strange that he would makes such a request, particularly after getting the vice-captaincy back
    I well remember it cos a couple of people I'd been chatting with on both Times and Graun had (before that interview came out) agreed that we all thought Stokes should either bat at 3/4 or even open, as he was the only player who could play a forward defensive.

And the interview put paid to our hopes. This was before Rory Burns had scored his ton, so the theory was that if the top 3 were gonna be out for single figures each, we might as well try Stokes and bring in Curran or Archer on the grounds that if Ali and YJB actually fired, Woakes and Curran meant we weren't short of people batting 6-8/9 who could counter attack.

But that's the issue. We have loads of people who can bat like that. But we don't have any Che Pujaras. Bats who want to bat long and slowly as opposed to slog their way to T20 contracts.

Sorry - didn't see your reply about the Times interview. Having a look. Don't disbelieve you - just think it is strange that he would makes such a request, particularly after getting the vice-captaincy back
    PS - having trouble finding it. Putting in Ben Stokes Six July 2019 (even with Ashes added) brings up page after page of him playing in CWC matches with lots of sixes being slogged.

I've also tried adding "higher than" and "management" but the google ranking means all the CWC stuff comes first. If I can think of a way of doing it later, I'll let you know. Apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I well remember it cos a couple of people I'd been chatting with on both Times and Graun had (before that interview came out) agreed that we all thought Stokes should either bat at 3/4 or even open, as he was the only player who could play a forward defensive.

And the interview put paid to our hopes. This was before Rory Burns had scored his ton, so the theory was that if the top 3 were gonna be out for single figures each, we might as well try Stokes and bring in Curran or Archer on the grounds that if Ali and YJB actually fired, Woakes and Curran meant we weren't short of people batting 6-8/9 who could counter attack.

But that's the issue. We have loads of people who can bat like that. But we don't have any Che Pujaras. Bats who want to bat long and slowly as opposed to slog their way to T20 contracts.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...rget-0qlddccvk

this is in the interview in the Times nearest the Test

And the Guardian
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ustralia-ashes

Nothing there

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    PS - having trouble finding it. Putting in Ben Stokes Six July 2019 (even with Ashes added) brings up page after page of him playing in CWC matches with lots of sixes being slogged.

I've also tried adding "higher than" and "management" but the google ranking means all the CWC stuff comes first. If I can think of a way of doing it later, I'll let you know. Apologies.
    Yep - it can be a bugger to search for certain things. Never mind - we're ****ed anyway

Yep - it can be a bugger to search for certain things. Never mind - we're ****ed anyway
    Might as well trade in all hopes in the Ashes for a decent Middlesex run in the blast imo. Second! Malan and Finn strike again!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Might as well trade in all hopes in the Ashes for a decent Middlesex run in the blast imo. Second! Malan and Finn strike again!
    Yes - Malan is in quite some form. If Stirling can find some as well it would be nice. Not sure what to make of the Hafeez signing - very decent player but few years past his peak. Tough run in as well, Clive. Somerset and Hampshire away in last two games (when ACDC will be back)