Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Anyone got any sauce recipes for magrets de canard?

Anyone got any sauce recipes for magrets de canard?

My Parisianmate brought us over some. I used to do red wine and redcurrant jelly, but want something more funky. You know, the various fruit concoctions like fig or plum or cherry you get in Toulouse.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    My Parisianmate brought us over some. I used to do red wine and redcurrant jelly, but want something more funky. You know, the various fruit concoctions like fig or plum or cherry you get in Toulouse.

Any ideas?
    I'm going to be of no help whatsoever here g. Fruit with meat pleases me not. I like my magrets de canard like I like my women, rare and dry with crispy skin.

I'm roasting a whole duck tonight, actually. I'll have it with roasted broccoli, sauteed beans and garlic mushrooms. Not asauce in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Any ideas?
    The easiest thing to do is to reduce red wine, port and stock with a dollop of whatever fruit or fruit jam you fancy (cherries would be classic - although blackberries would be seasonal). Serve the magret on top of the sauce to preserve the crisp skin.

Alternatively, if you don't fancy fruit, go with some chopped shallots, mushrooms, flambée with brandy and finish with double cream or creme fraiche.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I'm going to be of no help whatsoever here g. Fruit with meat pleases me not. I like my magrets de canard like I like my women, rare and dry with crispy skin.

I'm roasting a whole duck tonight, actually. I'll have it with roasted broccoli, sauteed beans and garlic mushrooms. Not asauce in sight.
    The mixture of crispy skin and the word Magret made me think of Michael Gambon.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The easiest thing to do is to reduce red wine, port and stock with a dollop of whatever fruit or fruit jam you fancy (cherries would be classic - although blackberries would be seasonal). Serve the magret on top of the sauce to preserve the crisp skin.

Alternatively, if you don't fancy fruit, go with some chopped shallots, mushrooms, flambée with brandy and finish with double cream or creme fraiche.
    A cream sauce with duck? Are you trying to kill the poor chap? My arteries are twitching just considering it.

A cream sauce with duck? Are you trying to kill the poor chap? My arteries are twitching just considering it.
    The first time I ever had a proper magret was in the Perigord when I was about 15. It was in a cream and truffle sauce and was so rich and huge that at first I thought I'd accidentally been served steak. Delicious, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    The first time I ever had a proper magret was in the Perigord when I was about 15. It was in a cream and truffle sauce and was so rich and huge that at first I thought I'd accidentally been served steak. Delicious, though.
    Should I sauté the shallots and shrooms in white truffle oil before flambéing in booze? And if so, white or black truffle oil. (Got both, init.)

Should I sauté the shallots and shrooms in white truffle oil before flambéing in booze? And if so, white or black truffle oil. (Got both, init.)
    I would say not. Use a mixture of olive oil and butter, but anoint with the white truffle oil at the end. If you use it before flambéeing, it'll burn off the flavour.

Don’t heat truffle oil dude!

Don’t heat truffle oil dude!
    Much appreciated, meera bhai.