Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Tierney done and on the way for a medical

Tierney done and on the way for a medical

No excuses now imo
    Don't tell me I'm still on this feckin island!

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
    No excuses now imo
    What's the point in giving the young Jock a medical if he's injured?

And why are we buying a LB when we have two of those but just one RB who's both injured and injury-prone?

The season before, when we had a manager who knew how to use full-backs in a 4-4-2, Nacho and Kola scored 11 between them.

So we'll start the season with 3 LBs and no RB. We have a whole host of young kids who can play MF or wide attacker - AMN, Willock, Nelson, Smith Rowe, John Jules, Saka etc - but none who can play FB or CH. Yet we sign a winger and an on-loan MF. And now a LB.

It's a bit like the cricket - loads of sexy sloggers, no-one that can play a forward defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

And why are we buying a LB when we have two of those but just one RB who's both injured and injury-prone?

The season before, when we had a manager who knew how to use full-backs in a 4-4-2, Nacho and Kola scored 11 between them.

So we'll start the season with 3 LBs and no RB. We have a whole host of young kids who can play MF or wide attacker - AMN, Willock, Nelson, Smith Rowe, John Jules, Saka etc - but none who can play FB or CH. Yet we sign a winger and an on-loan MF. And now a LB.

It's a bit like the cricket - loads of sexy sloggers, no-one that can play a forward defensive.
    Jeez G , you are really after killing my buzz!

Quote Originally Posted by bbrian View Post
    Jeez G , you are really after killing my buzz!
    He’s right though. The Jock will likely fail the medical. On the plus side, David Luiz will be good at passing out from the back. Something we were tragically poor at last season, and his actual defending can’t be much worse than Mustafi, can it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

This transfer stuff amuses me in the sense that fans clamor for a generic superstar in a needed position. "We need a world class CB!" Well, maybe the available pool doesn't have one, or maybe there is one but he isn't interested in The Arsenal, or wants too high a salary, or the club wants too much, etc., etc.

Specifically, if we do have two LB's one is clearly on the back side of his career. Love him but it be da truth. The other scowls when he is required to track back into his own half. As for Right Back, AMN in my view he is by far our best athlete and that allows for him to be adequate at any position but at this time a master of none. I saw improvement last year and a high ceiling IF he commits to RB. Not bad for what at this point is a long term backup.

Much like what has happened here in the USA! USA!! USA!! the off season has become a clickbait hunting ground for the virtual experts ... and now the overcrowded podcast and UTube space. Call me old fashioned but I like to wait until around Guy Fawkes Day to see where we are and what we got. Don't get too high (our unbeaten run last season) or too low until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    He’s right though. The Jock will likely fail the medical. On the plus side, David Luiz will be good at passing out from the back. Something we were tragically poor at last season, and his actual defending can’t be much worse than Mustafi, can it?
    My missus would be better at the actual defending than Mustafi is. Can't believe he's gonna sit here and bank the cash for the next two years. We should stick him in the fücking reserves. He shouldn't be allowed to train with the first team in case Squadronitis is contagious.

I normally hate Chavs but I don't mind Luis too much as he clearly wants to look like the Romford Pele. I loved Kos, but if we effectively get Luis for two years instead of keeping Kos for one, with very little difference in transfer fee or wages, then I'm up for that.

Unless he's a secret agent like Cech was. Should've never sold Wojech Sir Chez.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    This transfer stuff amuses me in the sense that fans clamor for a generic superstar in a needed position. "We need a world class CB!" Well, maybe the available pool doesn't have one, or maybe there is one but he isn't interested in The Arsenal, or wants too high a salary, or the club wants too much, etc., etc.

Specifically, if we do have two LB's one is clearly on the back side of his career. Love him but it be da truth. The other scowls when he is required to track back into his own half. As for Right Back, AMN in my view he is by far our best athlete and that allows for him to be adequate at any position but at this time a master of none. I saw improvement last year and a high ceiling IF he commits to RB. Not bad for what at this point is a long term backup.

Much like what has happened here in the USA! USA!! USA!! the off season has become a clickbait hunting ground for the virtual experts ... and now the overcrowded podcast and UTube space. Call me old fashioned but I like to wait until around Guy Fawkes Day to see where we are and what we got. Don't get too high (our unbeaten run last season) or too low until then.
    I love AMN. I think it criminal that El-Neny has been getting minutes in MF ahead of him. I also think he could be doing pretty much as good a job as Gwendo.

And by the end of last season, he's started to learn the attacking role of a top level RWB. He was getting assists from out wide with good crosses after he'd beaten the man.

But playing as a full back when you haven't played there at all as a yoof is hard. Look at pre-season. Look at the Lyon game. He was playing well, we were 1-0 up, he'd had a hand in the goal. But then in the 2nd half, they attacked down his side and he just gave their lad a yard too much space. Great cross, great header, 1-1.

Someone who'd spent years playing at FB during youth levels would have known instinctively not to give them that extra yard.

Likewise against Barca. OG. A kid who'd played FB for years would have known that you play back-passes wide of the goal in case fückups like happen. He'd have made that error a couple of times at U18 or U23 and would now instinctively play the ball to miss the goal.

I think he could go a good job in MF. And I think what he's learned about beating a FB and using the overlap out wide will come in helpful for him playing MF in the future.

I'd just rather we had a cheap, El-Neny level RB as cover for Hector and AMN could be fighting for an MF birth with the likes of Xhaka, Gwendo, Torreira and Willock.

As I say, it's like the cricket. We have loads of skilful youngsters who can do the sexy stuff. But none are actually out and out defenders.

I love my attacking FBs as much as any Gooner. We've been blessed over the years. But the likes of Dixon and Winterburn could actually defend as well as counter-attack.

And it's not like he has TA, Keown, Bould, Winterburn etc to teach him. He's got fücking Mustafi next to him, ffs.

Tiereny can also play as a centre half and has been deployed as a right back.

But there’s an a big difference with playing him at right back versus Cowdenbeath / Alloa Athletic and City / Liverpool.

I think he’ll be fine and perfectly adaptable to whatever Unai wants ie Back 3 or 4.

Glad it’s over...now let the centre half shenanigans?

Rugani?
    David Luiz?
    Upamecano?
    Cahill?
    Maybe Raul has been playing 4D chess the whole time and Dunk is the target

Quote Originally Posted by Just Trent View Post
    They don't test him on the injured leg or whatever it is. They test him on the vigor and fulsomeness of his cocck.