Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So that was an interesting result yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Yes, I agree - a GE followed by the vote being split every which way is probably the worst possible outcome.

Which is why I go back to my proposal - a second referendum with No Deal and Remain the only options. It's the only way.

On a related note, Jeremy Warner - who is typically the biggest cynic about the UK economy EVER - is saying in the Tele today that Europe will suffer more from No Deal than the UK. This really is going to get very interesting.
    Europe is made up of 27 states. Some will suffer more than others I suspect. It does confirm how stupid an idea no deal is. Bojo stands for nothing but Bojo, but his hostility towards May's deal seems to have narrowed to the backstop. For most of us, it means precious little/nothing. Who gives a **** about Northern Ireland, but the Irish? For Bojo it would mean a personal victory of delivering Brexit, where May failed. We will be quite aware that all he did was accept the deal the likes of Mogg were so vehemently against.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Brexit and Conservatives got over over 49%
    Look in the scorebook as they say - Lib Dem still win. Does make you think just why people voted for the Brexit Party when the Conservatives have the most Brexity cabinet it could possibly have and a PM promising no deal. So you vote to weaken their power in Parliament. WD Brexit Party voters

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Look in the scorebook as they say - Lib Dem still win. Does make you think just why people voted for the Brexit Party when the Conservatives have the most Brexity cabinet it could possibly have and a PM promising no deal. So you vote to weaken their power in Parliament. WD Brexit Party voters
    Because without The Brexit Party forming just over three months ago The Conservatives would never have elected a Brexiteer leader, got rid of May, Hammond, Gauke etc from the Cabinet and promised to take us out of the EU by 31 October with or without a deal.

So you expect them now to just pack up their bags and go away simply on the strength of Boris's fine words? Farage retired from the battleground when May talked tough in her first few months, remember.....once bitten, twice shy. They are necessary to hold the Conservatives' feet to the fire.

Having said that, both parties need to do a deal not to fight one another when a General Election comes or the remain alliance will sneak through in enough seats to lead to a minority government which would not deliver Brexit.
    Last edited by Yesterday Once More; 08-02-2019 at 01:55 PM.

The point that people seem to be missing is that in a Leave constituency the Tories - under a new leader who claims we will definitely leave in Oct 31 - lost to the Lib Dems on a Remain platform.

That really is quite astonishing and suggests to me strongly that a GE will result in a small minority government with none of the questions answered that everyone seems to want answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    Because without The Brexit Party forming just over three months ago The Conservatives would never have elected a Brexiteer leader, got rid of May, Hammond etc and promised to take us out of the EU by 31 October with or without a deal. So you expect them to just pack up their bags and go away on the strength of that promise? They did that when May talked tough, remember.....once bitten, twice shy. They are necessary to hold the Conservatives' feet to the fire. Having said that, both parties need to do a deal not to fight one another when a General Election comes or the remain alliance will sneak through in enough seats to lead to a minority government which would not deliver Brexit.
    Yes, fair point. I can see that - but holding the Conservatives feet to the fire while shooting themselves in the foot still strikes me a tad silly. Interesting to see if they do do a deal. Farage's attack on Cummings was interesting. Whole thing is a ****ing mess anyway

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    The point that people seem to be missing is that in a Leave constituency the Tories - under a new leader who claims we will definitely leave in Oct 31 - lost to the Lib Dems on a Remain platform.

That really is quite astonishing and suggests to me strongly that a GE will result in a small minority government with none of the questions answered that everyone seems to want answered.
    Yup - pretty much looks where we are headed. I believe you, me and YoM may actually be agreement here - that would be a first

Yup - pretty much looks where we are headed. I believe you, me and YoM may actually be agreement here - that would be a first
    Unnecessary addition of YoM in there