Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So that was an interesting result yesterday

So that was an interesting result yesterday

Brecon Radnorshire - which had voted Leave - elected the Lib Dems on a Remain platform.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Brecon Radnorshire - which had voted Leave - elected the Lib Dems on a Remain platform.

Hmmm
    Not really, the Brexit vote got split between Tories and Brexit party and allowed Libs to sneak in

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Not really, the Brexit vote got split between Tories and Brexit party and allowed Libs to sneak in
    43.5 % isn't just sneaking in - and the really interesting bit is that the party that did the sneaking in was virtually obliterated in the last GE.

43.5 % isn't just sneaking in - and the really interesting bit is that the party that did the sneaking in was virtually obliterated in the last GE.
    Brexit and Conservatives got over over 49%

People are still in protest vote mode. If it was a general election with brexit or no brexit on the line most of those Brexit Party votes go to the Conservatives and they take the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    People are still in protest vote mode. If it was a general election with brexit or no brexit on the line most of those Brexit Party votes go to the Conservatives and they take the seat.
    I'm beginning to think that this will go on for ever.

Well, at least until 2021 when the world ends in a nuclear fireball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I'm beginning to think that this will go on for ever.

Well, at least until 2021 when the world ends in a nuclear fireball.
    I’m glad I don’t have to listen/read about it every day. It’s bad enough with my mum keep going on about it whenever I call her

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post
    But the question in the next GE will not be Brexit or No Brexit. It will be Brexit No Deal or No Brexit.

The question really is how many of those Tory votes are strong enough to remain Tory despite Boris (not universally loved) and No Deal?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the Tories lose votes and the only viable option for those votes will be Lib Dem.

But the question in the next GE will not be Brexit or No Brexit. It will be Brexit No Deal or No Brexit.

The question really is how many of those Tory votes are strong enough to remain Tory despite Boris (not universally loved) and No Deal?

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the Tories lose votes and the only viable option for those votes will be Lib Dem.
    Which could probably lead to a minority government of some sort. Hard to imagine a weaker government than the current one, but there you have one scenario to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Which could probably lead to a minority government of some sort. Hard to imagine a weaker government than the current one, but there you have one scenario to achieve it.
    Yes, I agree - a GE followed by the vote being split every which way is probably the worst possible outcome.

Which is why I go back to my proposal - a second referendum with No Deal and Remain the only options. It's the only way.

On a related note, Jeremy Warner - who is typically the biggest cynic about the UK economy EVER - is saying in the Tele today that Europe will suffer more from No Deal than the UK. This really is going to get very interesting.