Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever soaked your own beans?

Have you ever soaked your own beans?

I've always disregarded any recipe instructing me to 'soak the dried beans overnight'. Who's got time for that sort of faffing about when canned beans work so well and so... instantly?

Well I recently tried a Nigel Slater sausage and chickpea job, and decided to experiment with doing it 'properly' with the dreid chickpeas and the soaking and the hours of boiling... the result was a revelation. Texture, flavour, magnifique!

My advice to you all: can the cans and invest in sacks of dried beans. Maybe I mean legumes? Who can say?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I've always disregarded any recipe instructing me to 'soak the dried beans overnight'. Who's got time for that sort of faffing about when canned beans work so well and so... instantly?

Well I recently tried a Nigel Slater sausage and chickpea job, and decided to experiment with doing it 'properly' with the dreid chickpeas and the soaking and the hours of boiling... the result was a revelation. Texture, flavour, magnifique!

My advice to you all: can the cans and invest in sacks of dried beans. Maybe I mean legumes? Who can say?
    Nah. Fúck that. I'm fairly sure there's only so good a bean can be. I might do it for a proper cassoulet or a feijoada or whatnot, but in general, no.

I have been salting my gherkins prior to pickling lately, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Nah. Fúck that. I'm fairly sure there's only so good a bean can be. I might do it for a proper cassoulet or a feijoada or whatnot, but in general, no.

I have been salting my gherkins prior to pickling lately, though.
    Your loss dude.

How long does this low carb business take, anyway? 3lbs in a week is a bit disappointing. Last night I dreamt I was eating a freshly prepared jambon beurre

Your loss dude.

How long does this low carb business take, anyway? 3lbs in a week is a bit disappointing. Last night I dreamt I was eating a freshly prepared jambon beurre
    3lbs in a week is pretty good, I'd have thought. Thats...errr...some kilogrammes, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    3lbs in a week is pretty good, I'd have thought. Thats...errr...some kilogrammes, isn't it?
    1.3kg. We've got new scales asnd the glw has set them up in stones. I'm frankly bewildered.

1.3kg. We've got new scales asnd the glw has set them up in stones. I'm frankly bewildered.
    We're going back to imperial measurements, sc, get used to it #Brexit
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

What's to be bewildered by, you dirty foreigner? 16oz to a lb, 7lbs to a clove; 14lbs to a stone; 7 stone to a tod; 8 stone to a hundredweight; 2240lbs to a ton. Simple.

Jacob would be most disappointed in you.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    We're going back to imperial measurements, sc, get used to it #Brexit
    Oddly I think I operate in imperial for everything except weight and temperature. I never really got to grips with ounces.

Oddly I think I operate in imperial for everything except weight and temperature. I never really got to grips with ounces.
    Studies have shown that people estimate height and distance much more accurately in imperial measures for the simple reason that they are human measurements. Metric is easier to calculate with, of course.

Been doing it for two years c .. since I got my Type 2 diagnosis. What pleases me,

being a tightwad, is the sheer volume of beans a dried pack gives once re-hydrated - makes 'em dirt cheap. It won't be long before you go off them. Too sort of floury and they may look different but all taste exactly the same ...FACT!