Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Sin Bins

Sin Bins

great idea, imo

but why not at professional level?

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/jul/2...-season-290719

I'd have been in them fairly often had they been around in my time tbh
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    great idea, imo

but why not at professional level?

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/jul/2...-season-290719

I'd have been in them fairly often had they been around in my time tbh
    Agreed - a clear flaw in the game, the fact that you can only punish someone for persistent fouling with the threat of expulsion from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Agreed - a clear flaw in the game, the fact that you can only punish someone for persistent fouling with the threat of expulsion from the game.
    Good idea in principle, but would it improve the game? Wouldn't the team with fewer players just become more defensive for 10 mins? I like the idea of using it for dissent. Refs get treated like **** by the players, doesn't happen in egg chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Good idea in principle, but would it improve the game? Wouldn't the team with fewer players just become more defensive for 10 mins? I like the idea of using it for dissent. Refs get treated like **** by the players, doesn't happen in egg chasing.
    It doesn't happen in rugby precisely because it is ruthlessly penalised. By contrast, in football if a referee attempts to discipline players for dissent, he's instantly criticised for 'spoiling the game' or 'making it all about him'.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    By contrast, in football if a referee attempts to discipline players for dissent, he's instantly criticised for 'spoiling the game' or 'making it all about him'.
    Well, I'd certainly say that about Mike Dean, whether he justifiably binned someone or otherwise...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

It doesn't happen in rugby precisely because it is ruthlessly penalised. By contrast, in football if a referee attempts to discipline players for dissent, he's instantly criticised for 'spoiling the game' or 'making it all about him'.
    Indeed. But isn’t this rule a step to eradicate that?

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Indeed. But isn’t this rule a step to eradicate that?
    Yes!

I ref junior football matches and anything that stops the little ****s calling me a bald old has been is to be applauded imho
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

I think the referee tends to receive that criticism almost entirely when he sends someone off.

Had he the option of a sin bin that would occur far less often, I think.

Oh, and in rugby the referee has the option of moving the ball forward/backward by some number of yards which tends to shut the players up pretty quickly when it happens. As would the sin bin option.