Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phew! What a scorcher!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Yeah - you're right. He was 10, Stokes was 12. Roy does have some lovely shots though, by no means just a basher. If Thorpe can get his head/hands right he can be good
    Agreed. And if anyone can show him, it's Thorpe. He played beautifully late. I still maintain he's one of the most underrated English batsmen of my lifetime - largely because he was always playing in shít sides where he was the only world-class bat. I know it was the right decisions to pick Pietersen in 2005, but it was still a very shoddy end for Thorpe.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Agreed. And if anyone can show him, it's Thorpe. He played beautifully late. I still maintain he's one of the most underrated English batsmen of my lifetime - largely because he was always playing in shít sides where he was the only world-class bat. I know it was the right decisions to pick Pietersen in 2005, but it was still a very shoddy end for Thorpe.
    Absolutely - odd that such a quiet bloke had much of his career overshadowed by his private life. I was at the Oval when he and Trescothick took a fairly decent SA attack to pieces. So clinical

Bowled him in the nets at Farnham, he was a bit miffed

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Bowled him in the nets at Farnham, he was a bit miffed
    poor nets obviously. I remember being in the bar at Quo Vadis (the places we'd go to when we were young!) and got chatting to these Kiwi girls one of whom claimed to be the girl that Thorpe smuggled into his room in NZ. Hardly worth risking your marriage for, let alone your England place (and yes that is the right order of importance)

Absolutely - odd that such a quiet bloke had much of his career overshadowed by his private life. I was at the Oval when he and Trescothick took a fairly decent SA attack to pieces. So clinical
    From what I read, his relationship with his wife was always pretty rocky - not helped by him constantly touring, presumably. It's hard to see him as a ladies' man, but it's often the quiet ones, I suppose.

Only four-eyes I can recall was David Steele - but he was middle order I think (can remember hearing off him not quite old enough to have seen him play).
    I remember him. ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I remember him. ISTR a local butcher offering him a year's supply of meat after one of his heroic innings.

Also had a Spinal Tap moment at Lord's getting lost in the pavilion coming out to bat on debut against the Aussies.
    That would be the one - the most unlikely winner of BBC Sports Personality of the Year ever

From what I read, his relationship with his wife was always pretty rocky - not helped by him constantly touring, presumably. It's hard to see him as a ladies' man, but it's often the quiet ones, I suppose.
    His marriage only ended after she played away from home I seem to recall

Roy at 3 for the Ashes? Might as well sack off the openers

Did you see much of Stone yesterday? Haven't seen him at all but sounds quite promising with the obvious caveat of the opposition