Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir C, I took the GLW to Joy Kitchen in Orpington on Friday night

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I tend to agree. When I want an Indian I want an Indian, not some gussied up different thing. I stumbled across an absolutely fantastic Indian in Cambridge recently; the food was absolutely standard but you could tell that it was freshly prepared and loaded with fresh herbs - they had just taken a little care, and that was the difference that worked for me.

Having said all that, I'm going to A Wong on Saturday and I'm excited because I love it so much. It may be my favourite restaurant in London at the moment... and that's properly Michelined up. (I ppreciate that it isn't Indian. But still.)
    Darbaar in the City is another quite good one. I went with clients though so it was quite strange to have red wine and not order enough poppadoms for the whole restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post
    I think they are still quite happy for you to order 20 poppadoms and a pint of Kingfisher when you get in and then have some clever device to sweep the crumbs from the tablecloth whilst thankfully turning a blind eye to the red stains on their white tablecloths.
    Do you know what I like on my poppadoms, m? Lime pickle. BUT, sometimes I prefer the little salad of tomato and onion and coriander.

Mango chutney can do one.

Yes. I haven't tried that Indian, but it certainly looks tempting.

If Orpington is belssed with anything, it's Chinesers. Xi'an is well known, of course, but Parkside offers a seperate menu of authentic chinese food alongside the usual UK restaurant favourites, King Palace has been reliable for years and then there's Joy Kitchen for your Malay and Indonesian requirements. Good timez, I think you'll agree.
    I went to a banana tree in Islington last week (wasn't my choice) and had the Beef Rendang. I have to say it was actually better than any of those I've had in Malaysia. Not terribly authentic but certainly more edible.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I went to a banana tree in Islington last week (wasn't my choice) and had the Beef Rendang. I have to say it was actually better than any of those I've had in Malaysia. Not terribly authentic but certainly more edible.
    Banana Tree, you say? And do they serve the roti canai in this tree?

For obvious reasons b? Are we to believe you were once a man of straw?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm told that that Atul Kochhar place in Petts Wood is really very good. I never had any money when I was living there (for obvious reasons), so never went. However, those who did tell me good things.
    . . . . . . .

Do you know what I like on my poppadoms, m? Lime pickle. BUT, sometimes I prefer the little salad of tomato and onion and coriander.

Mango chutney can do one.
    Mango chutney is just jam. And putting jam on poppadoms is madness. Love a bit of Lime Pickle. Brinjal pickle's good, too.

I do retain a dirty liking for the sweetish/minty orange/yellow/green yoghurt gloop, however.

Mango chutney is just jam. And putting jam on poppadoms is madness. Love a bit of Lime Pickle. Brinjal pickle's good, too.

I do retain a dirty liking for the sweetish/minty orange/yellow/green yoghurt gloop, however.
    Gosh yes, that yoghurty thing isn't bad, actually.

I made dahl makhani yesterday. I did it in a Dutch oven over charcoal. Cooked it for 8 hours. Thought I could get that smoky charcoal quality into it, like it had been cooked ina village in the Punjab.

It was shít.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    . . . . . . .
    I was living in this place because I had split up with my former partner and was renting a flat there. Between the mortgage on the old place and the rent on the flat, there wasn't much left for slap-up feeds.

Gosh yes, that yoghurty thing isn't bad, actually.

I made dahl makhani yesterday. I did it in a Dutch oven over charcoal. Cooked it for 8 hours. Thought I could get that smoky charcoal quality into it, like it had been cooked ina village in the Punjab.

It was shít.
    'Dutch oven'

Do you even cook indoors anymore? I made an absolutely lovely off-the-cuff fish soup/stew for supper last night. Bit of dill, fish stock, cream, concasse tomatoes, leeks, onions and carrots. Plus some bits of monkfish, cod loin and prawns. Marvellous.

I also have a rather nice recipe for Spanish ribs with a honey and sherry coating, but you'd probably sneer since I cook them in an oven.

'Dutch oven'

Do you even cook indoors anymore? I made an absolutely lovely off-the-cuff fish soup/stew for supper last night. Bit of dill, fish stock, cream, concasse tomatoes, leeks, onions and carrots. Plus some bits of monkfish, cod loin and prawns. Marvellous.

I also have a rather nice recipe for Spanish ribs with a honey and sherry coating, but you'd probably sneer since I cook them in an oven.
    Cast iron pot. You know the drill.

I use the barbecue if the weather's good most of the time. Those ribs of yours could easily go in the oven but the babecue will just give them a gnat's cóck of something nicer. And it's nice to be outside. Tonight I will do lamb rump on boulangere potatoes for which I need an oven running at 200 degrees, so I'll just fire up the Kamado. Tomorrow I'm doing steaks, so guess what? Kamado. Wednesday will see me try a chicken shawarma recipe I found recently... over charcoal, naturally.