Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir C, I took the GLW to Joy Kitchen in Orpington on Friday night

Sir C, I took the GLW to Joy Kitchen in Orpington on Friday night

They sat us on a table for 2 and after we ordered moved us to a table for 4... I think you know you have ordered well when that happens.

Agree with you that the roti canai was excellent, really hit the spot. I had the nasi goreng which was fine, but I think they had toned it down somewhat for the british market. I recall it having much more punch in Bali.

They only had 3-4 tables in on a Friday night and not many takeaways as far as I could tell which is not a promising sign for them as a business. I would suggest going back soon before they go out of business if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post
    They sat us on a table for 2 and after we ordered moved us to a table for 4... I think you know you have ordered well when that happens.

Agree with you that the roti canai was excellent, really hit the spot. I had the nasi goreng which was fine, but I think they had toned it down somewhat for the british market. I recall it having much more punch in Bali.

They only had 3-4 tables in on a Friday night and not many takeaways as far as I could tell which is not a promising sign for them as a business. I would suggest going back soon before they go out of business if you like it.
    I must say I tend to just use it for the roti canai recently. I agree, it's never busy enough to look like a healthy business is it? It would be a shame if it failed, I think they've tried really hard on alimited budget.

There was a rather trendy modern cosmopolitan looking Indian a few shops down that looked like it had been professionally designed, which for a high street Indian is very unusual. It actually took me a few minutes of looking at the menu to work out exactly what cuisine it was. This place was buzzing with atmosphere, which made me quite sad for the Malaysians a few doors back as they have no chance of competing regardless of the quality of food.

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post
    There was a rather trendy modern cosmopolitan looking Indian a few shops down that looked like it had been professionally designed, which for a high street Indian is very unusual. It actually took me a few minutes of looking at the menu to work out exactly what cuisine it was. This place was buzzing with atmosphere, which made me quite sad for the Malaysians a few doors back as they have no chance of competing regardless of the quality of food.
    Yes. I haven't tried that Indian, but it certainly looks tempting.

If Orpington is belssed with anything, it's Chinesers. Xi'an is well known, of course, but Parkside offers a seperate menu of authentic chinese food alongside the usual UK restaurant favourites, King Palace has been reliable for years and then there's Joy Kitchen for your Malay and Indonesian requirements. Good timez, I think you'll agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Yes. I haven't tried that Indian, but it certainly looks tempting.

If Orpington is belssed with anything, it's Chinesers. Xi'an is well known, of course, but Parkside offers a seperate menu of authentic chinese food alongside the usual UK restaurant favourites, King Palace has been reliable for years and then there's Joy Kitchen for your Malay and Indonesian requirements. Good timez, I think you'll agree.
    I'm told that that Atul Kochhar place in Petts Wood is really very good. I never had any money when I was living there (for obvious reasons), so never went. However, those who did tell me good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I'm told that that Atul Kochhar place in Petts Wood is really very good. I never had any money when I was living there (for obvious reasons), so never went. However, those who did tell me good things.
    I keep meaning to try it but I keep forgetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I keep meaning to try it but I keep forgetting.
    I must admit I've always felt a certain scepticism about 'fine dining' Indian food. I don't know why. Sheer prejudice, I suppose.

http://www.awimb.com/showthread.php?...highlight=atul

I have been there, it is very good. Though it does seem strange to be paying more London prices when you're clearly in Kent.

I must admit I've always felt a certain scepticism about 'fine dining' Indian food. I don't know why. Sheer prejudice, I suppose.
    I tend to agree. When I want an Indian I want an Indian, not some gussied up different thing. I stumbled across an absolutely fantastic Indian in Cambridge recently; the food was absolutely standard but you could tell that it was freshly prepared and loaded with fresh herbs - they had just taken a little care, and that was the difference that worked for me.

Having said all that, I'm going to A Wong on Saturday and I'm excited because I love it so much. It may be my favourite restaurant in London at the moment... and that's properly Michelined up. (I ppreciate that it isn't Indian. But still.)

I think they are still quite happy for you to order 20 poppadoms and a pint of Kingfisher when you get in and then have some clever device to sweep the crumbs from the tablecloth whilst thankfully turning a blind eye to the red stains on their white tablecloths.