Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: Ah! Now I have a better understanding of your politics. You people want Johnson

Ah! Now I have a better understanding of your politics. You people want Johnson

because he bleeds off the folks who went over to Farage. Thus Johnson's very shamelessness is his strongest point. You need someone like that to stave off a worse fate with the Faragists. Very good, carry on.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/o...gtype=Homepage

You need to stop believing everything you read in the NYT tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You need to stop believing everything you read in the NYT tbh.
    Reading supposed 'quality' US news sources on Brexit over the last few years has been a real eye-opener. I mean I knew your average red-state shítkicker knew absolutely fúck all about other countries, but the sheer, breathtaking ignorance that outlets like the NYT and WaPo have shown has told me that the supposedly metropolitan east and west coasters are just as ignorant - only with the additional problem that their ignorance is compounded by the arrogance of imagining themselves to be well-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Reading supposed 'quality' US news sources on Brexit over the last few years has been a real eye-opener. I mean I knew your average red-state shítkicker knew absolutely fúck all about other countries, but the sheer, breathtaking ignorance that outlets like the NYT and WaPo have shown has told me that the supposedly metropolitan east and west coasters are just as ignorant - only with the additional problem that their ignorance is compounded by the arrogance of imagining themselves to be well-informed.
    Well, what's your view then? I mean, I think I have a fairly solid grasp on it because you talk of almost nothing else. But where does an article like this err? We're just trying to understand the rabbit hole down which all you people have gone. I am, at least. Although I'm not that interested, mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by eastgermanautos View Post
    Well, what's your view then? I mean, I think I have a fairly solid grasp on it because you talk of almost nothing else. But where does an article like this err? We're just trying to understand the rabbit hole down which all you people have gone. I am, at least. Although I'm not that interested, mind you.
    Well apart from the fact that it's a horrifically biased ad hominem attack that doesn't even pretend to be balanced, it horribly over-estimates (to the point of actually lying) the sentiment towards Scottish independence. In fact, most polls show that there has been a decline in the desire to become independent since the 2014 referendum. That is unlikely to change.
    It is also profoundly dishonest about the sentiment for a united Ireland. Although in fact the Good Friday Agreement has always made it explicit that, should a majority in favour of a united Ireland become apparent, that vote will be granted - so quite where he gets the idea that this is some kind of unthinkable catastrophe from I've no idea.
    Also, your analysis is arse-about-face. The Brexit Party has always been a means to threaten the tories and keep them pro-Brexit. It has worked insofar as Boris' election is the party's response to that threat, but the idea that we're making Boris PM to get votes off Farage is nonsense. We're making him PM in the desperate hope that he might actually deliver what we voted for 3 years ago.

It's also written by this guy. A hard-left, Labour-supporting journalist with virtually zero profile in this country and who works for Novara Media, which is essentially a propaganda outfit for Jeremy Corbyn. The idea that it is any way a credible or informed piece is laughable.

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/james-butler

Well apart from the fact that it's a horrifically biased ad hominem attack that doesn't even pretend to be balanced, it horribly over-estimates (to the point of actually lying) the sentiment towards Scottish independence. In fact, most polls show that there has been a decline in the desire to become independent since the 2014 referendum. That is unlikely to change.
    It is also profoundly dishonest about the sentiment for a united Ireland. Although in fact the Good Friday Agreement has always made it explicit that, should a majority in favour of a united Ireland become apparent, that vote will be granted - so quite where he gets the idea that this is some kind of unthinkable catastrophe from I've no idea.
    Also, your analysis is arse-about-face. The Brexit Party has always been a means to threaten the tories and keep them pro-Brexit. It has worked insofar as Boris' election is the party's response to that threat, but the idea that we're making Boris PM to get votes off Farage is nonsense. We're making him PM in the desperate hope that he might actually deliver what we voted for 3 years ago.
    Tony Blair in the Times this morning - the only way out of this mess is a No Deal/Remain referendum.

Now where have I heard that before?

I don't care enough actually to chase down these details you reference -- which is always an advantage you'll have when it comes to Things Limey. So I'll give you all this. But what do you say to people in Europe who say: you're fvcked, you blew it, all business is going to Amsterdam or Frankfurt. England, have your island and call it a day. What to say to them, eh? Don't forget there were British-type peoples going back a long time. Picts and the like, or whomever. Inoffensive largely, incanting spells, painted blue. But England did not become Great Britain until it actually took the fight to other countries. What's your plan of attack going forward, one asks.

I don't care enough actually to chase down these details you reference -- which is always an advantage you'll have when it comes to Things Limey. So I'll give you all this. But what do you say to people in Europe who say: you're fvcked, you blew it, all business is going to Amsterdam or Frankfurt. England, have your island and call it a day. What to say to them, eh? Don't forget there were British-type peoples going back a long time. Picts and the like, or whomever. Inoffensive largely, incanting spells, painted blue. But England did not become Great Britain until it actually took the fight to other countries. What's your plan of attack going forward, one asks.
    That is what Trump is for Eastie...as long as Boris bends the knee