Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 'Man finds own amputated leg on cigarette packets without consent'

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I think they smoke because it is addictive...try it for a while and can't give it up. Not rocket science is it
    Do try and think it through, p. Why would they even try it if it didn't have any social cachet - let alone go back to it? I can assure you it's not the taste.
    You may not realise this, but you don't instantly get addicted to cigarettes. It takes effort. You have to go through a few weeks of doing something actively unpleasant before it becomes enjoyable (ie an addiction). Why on earth would you do that if there weren't other social factors at work?

Of course smoking is cool. The fact that most people aren't cool and so don't smoke does not disprove this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    my grandmother used to smoke and when I was a kid I was probably a little annoying prick telling her she would die and to stop.
    so nothing really has changed.

And plenty of people have sene relatives die in horrendous ways from smoking and still smoke.
    And I haven't smoked since my mum died of cancer, so i would suggest plenty of people have decided not to smoke because they have seen what it does.

Also the reason I don't really drink, because it killed my Dad
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Two words: James. Dean.
    Lauren Bacall.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Is it also cool to die in a road traffic collision?
    It is if you look like a Greek God and you're driving a Porsche Spyder far too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Do try and think it through, p. Why would they even try it if it didn't have any social cachet - let alone go back to it? I can assure you it's not the taste.
    You may not realise this, but you don't instantly get addicted to cigarettes. It takes effort. You have to go through a few weeks of doing something actively unpleasant before it becomes enjoyable (ie an addiction). Why on earth would you do that if there weren't other social factors at work?

Of course smoking is cool. The fact that most people aren't cool and so don't smoke does not disprove this.
    They try it for plenty of reasons, to appear grown up, peer pressure, so it is not down to being seen to be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Two absolutely iconic liveries. I still support McLaren to this day because of their old red and white kit. And smoked Marbs for a few years. The Lotus 72 especially was an amazing looking beastie.

B&H sponsored Jordan in the 90's.
    JPS were terrible fags, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Lauren Bacall.
    Waynetta Slob

They try it for plenty of reasons, to appear grown up, peer pressure, so it is not down to being seen to be cool
    There's never any peer pressure to be uncool, p. There's only ever peer pressure to be cool.

And nobody wants to emulate uncool grown-up things like paying bills or getting life insurance. They want to emulate illicit, forbidden things like sex, drugs, drink and smoking.

Waynetta Slob
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It is if you look like a Greek God and you're driving a Porsche Spyder far too fast.
    To be honest any speed in a Porsche 356 is too fast. They were, quite literally, death traps.