Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been somehwre unfamiliar on the tube

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

London Stansted.
    London Southend.
    London Luton.

And they can still land at East Midlands instead...
    The funny thing is that I have two international airports that style themselves 'London' within half an hour drive of me (Luton and Stansted). I live about 15 miles north of the northernmost tip of Enfield and yet each involves me driving 20-odd miles even further away from London than I already am.

As we are seeing, where London starts and ends depends on many things, some tangible and others not. The Roman City, The Medieval City, the Georgian, the Victorian, the Edwardian. Whether it is urban or rural. The political geography of the 32 boroughs, or the Post Office's definition, where for example the vast endless metro-land of the north-west is given a Harrow postcode to make it bloody clear it isn't London. Nor is Romford FFS.

And let's face it, if the post office should know where London is. They know where everywhere is.

For me, it's the North Circular. Not sure about Down There but I am working on it slowly. eg: The river marking the border between Tooting and the borough of Croydon is definitely the edge of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I used it for lunching last year when I did jury service. It was rather good. Especially the Korean Fried Chicken place.
    Yes. In fact I think it was you what told me. I suppose that would be quite convenient for the law courts (and doesn't involve taking one's life if one's hands and heading into central Croydon).

Come to think of it, I don't think I've been to central Croydon for the better part of 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    As we are seeing, where London starts and ends depends on many things, some tangible and others not. The Roman City, The Medieval City, the Georgian, the Victorian, the Edwardian. Whether it is urban or rural. The political geography of the 32 boroughs, or the Post Office's definition, where for example the vast endless metro-land of the north-west is given a Harrow postcode to make it bloody clear it isn't London. Nor is Romford FFS.

And let's face it, if the post office should know where London is. They know where everywhere is.

For me, it's the North Circular. Not sure about Down There but I am working on it slowly. eg: The river marking the border between Tooting and the borough of Croydon is definitely the edge of London.

Is that the Graveney? If so, I would broadly agree with this.

Don't forget London Biggin Hill.
    To be fair, that is at least in a London Borough. But it's not a proper airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    To be fair, that is at least in a London Borough. But it's not a proper airport.
    The difference between an aerodrome and an airport used to be whether it had immigration facilities. By such a measure Biggin is definitely an airport.

Wimbledon isn't London, is it?

I once went to Wimbledon by tube. Must have been around 1978. My friend Malcolm and I decided to go to Plough Lane to watch Wimbledon, because they'd recently beaten West Ham in a cup game and that struck us as amusing. It took fúcking hours to get there and then the game was postponed. We went to his Auntie's house nearby and she gave us tea and cake.

Good. Fúcking. Timez.
    This reads like an Enid Blyton post Apart from the awful swearing of course.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

The difference between an aerodrome and an airport used to be whether it had immigration facilities. By such a measure Biggin is definitely an airport.
    Yes, but these days the definition is whether it has a Boots, a WH Smith and a branch of Giraffe.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    though I'm not sure any tourist board would wish to use "You can see the lights of Croydon from here" as a marketing tool
    They may well use the 8 miles as the crow flies bit tbh. Way out of stabbing range.
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Quote Originally Posted by barrybueno View Post
    They may well use the 8 miles as the crow flies bit tbh. Way out of stabbing range.
    Yuo say that now, b, it'll be kniving by drone before long, b.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”