Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been somehwre unfamiliar on the tube

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Oh I have no doubt that Wimbledon identifies as London, just as you identify as a doctor and a bearded docker called Keith can identify as a ballerina. Doesn't make any of it true.
    It's like Richmond and Kingston-Upon-Thames. No way are they London. They're leafy towns masquerading as London.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I had no idea that London was such a small city, in your eyes.

Still, this is comforting news having read that detached house prices in London were slumping at 4%pa just yesterday. Clearly my property is not impacted by this
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_London
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Well that's The City rather than the city. I work right in the middle of it; on Garlick Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    We've done this before. Sir C's London would make for a very slim volume of the A-Z.

Truth is, there are many Londons.
    That's the beauty of London really, isn't it? It's really loads of villages joined together, didn't someone or other say that?

When I say London, what I really mean is 'Where One Visits To Eat or Buy Clothes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I have walked from Acton Town to Heathrow via all the stations to explore these exotic wastelands. The tube journey now seems tame by comparison.
    Mercy me a, you must have passed through the living hell called Hayes Town. Those of us who have lived near its environs simply call it the Open Prison. I knew a Hayes girl who had her anus tatooed to resemble a pouting cherub with the caption "gizza kiss" on her buttocks*

*may have made that up, convinced she probably exists

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's like Richmond and Kingston-Upon-Thames. No way are they London. They're leafy towns masquerading as London.
    Does being leafy preclude a suburb from being a part of a much greater city? Surely the tapestry of London is, in part, down to its many, vastly different, districts?

Well that's The City rather than the city. I work right in the middle of it; on Garlick Hill.
    Oh, you mean the conurbation of Greater London?

Where the stuff south of Tooley Street doesn't really matter...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    That's the beauty of London really, isn't it? It's really loads of villages joined together, didn't someone or other say that?

When I say London, what I really mean is 'Where One Visits To Eat or Buy Clothes'.
    I think you've got London mixed up with Bluewater, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    Oh, you mean the conurbation of Greater London?

Where the stuff south of Tooley Street doesn't really matter...
    Who knows where London ends...certainly not Ryannair imo
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Does being leafy preclude a suburb from being a part of a much greater city? Surely the tapestry of London is, in part, down to its many, vastly different, districts?
    But they're not suburbs. They're entities in their own right. The same (in a very different way) goes for Croydon. Croydon is technically London, but I grew up there and it's definitely not really London.