Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: After yesterday's conversation about falling out of love with the Arsenal, I started

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    As with the flying, a sense of relief, I think. I mean, who needs to go through all that effort? :shudder:
    Yes. It's funny, but I only thought of it yesterday. Up to that point I suppose I sort of assumed I'd go again, but then it hit me and I just thought 'Why on earth would I?'.

As with the flying, a sense of relief, I think. I mean, who needs to go through all that effort? :shudder:
    I feel much like that about playing in bands, which I will likely not do again. How did I ever find the time and energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. It's funny, but I only thought of it yesterday. Up to that point I suppose I sort of assumed I'd go again, but then it hit me and I just thought 'Why on earth would I?'.
    Of course we'll probably both end up going on corporate jolly at some point. Furthermore, in 5 years time, who knows? You might become mad for it again and buy a season ticket which, I might add, is likely to be decent value while we're in League 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I feel much like that about playing in bands, which I will likely not do again. How did I ever find the time and energy?
    Exactly so, a. No, there's no way I'm spending hours and hours training and practicing and travelling and performing. Instead, I shall head out onto 't fell and walk up fúcking mountians for 8 hours a day.

Haha, as I was driving over Buttertubs Pass from the Yorkshire Dales to Cumbria I noted with pleasure that someone had amended the 'Welcome To Cumbria' sign to read, 'We come To Cum'.

Of course we'll probably both end up going on corporate jolly at some point. Furthermore, in 5 years time, who knows? You might become mad for it again and buy a season ticket which, I might add, is likely to be decent value while we're in League 1.
    Sport of any kind is a social event, it's not really about the sport. If you don't have a relative/friend or several that you go along with, you'll never go.

Be thankful. It's inconvenient, largely dull and a colossal waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I sometimes look wistfully at my cricket bat, but realistically, I won't ever be picking it up in anger again. But that's a purely physical thing. That makes me briefly sad, but then I think about flogging around the outfield on a hot day and feel a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Sport of any kind is a social event, it's not really about the sport. If you don't have a relative/friend or several that you go along with, you'll never go.

Be thankful. It's inconvenient, largely dull and a colossal waste of time.
    Oh, some 20 or 30 of my very closest chums attend every week, afce, yet my quality of life significantly improved when I defenestrated my season ticket.

Hmmm. Maybe. But I'm getting a distinct 'We have heard the chimes at midnight' vibe about it.

I sometimes look wistfully at my cricket bat, but realistically, I won't ever be picking it up in anger again. But that's a purely physical thing. That makes me briefly sad, but then I think about flogging around the outfield on a hot day and feel a lot better.
    Consider also a Tuesday night in November. It's dark, it's cold and it's damp. We have Leicester City at home in the league. We're 3rd in the league and going well; tonight could put us second.

You're really quite hopeful and excited as you open a the second bottle of ordinary claret and thrown another log on the fire whilst awaiting kick off...

Why would you not play cricket again? Aren't you only, like, 40-something?

I now play 7-a-side football every Monday night with a bunch of local Faversham types (including two ex cons) who only ever seem to go to London to see their mates box in unlicensed fight clubs in Bethnal Green.

They've nicknamed me "Pull back Paul" due to my prediliction for a by-line cut back. I almost burst with pride