Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Have we actually had a proper, old skool English collapse so far this tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Trescothick gets too little credit for our 2005 Ashes win imo. He took the attack to the Australian seamers, got our run-rate up and generally gave us momentum and the initiative (until Warne came on, obviously). There is something to be said for that sort of player - after all, Sehwag's game didn't change much between tests and one-dayers and he ended up averaging 49
    How does he get too little credit? He was the 2nd highest run scorer. While Strauss got two tons, MK didn't get any but got 3 50s and averaged 43. Great opening combination, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    Never did see him bat - probably didn't miss much. I was thinking the other day of the best XI I had actually seen live. Think I came up with something like this. Bit batting top heavy but didn't want to leave out Crowe. Not sure you need a fifth bowler anyway

Greenidge
    Cook
    Richards
    Tendulkar (though never saw him bat only field)
    Ponting
    Crowe M
    Gilchrist
    Marshall
    Warne
    Hadlee
    McGrath
    Surely Jacques Kallis gets in ahead of Crowe?

Spot on - as I said earlier, just needs these players to come off once or twice a series and they win games (not unlike Broad with the ball which is why I would be reluctant to drop him)
    Broad with his dander up against the Convicts is a terrifying sight. He has to start the first two tests at least, for me. If he's lost it, fine. But if not, we'll need him with the new ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    How does he get too little credit? He was the 2nd highest run scorer. While Strauss got two tons, MK didn't get any but got 3 50s and averaged 43. Great opening combination, imo.
    Because nobody ever mentions how important his runs were in a psychological sense in taking the attack to the Aussies and in scoring quickly to ensure results. He gets overlooked in most of the retrospectives about that series, but having an English opener go after Australia’s quicks when we’d spent the previous 15 years just desperately trying to hang on was a big psychological shift.

Because nobody ever mentions how important his runs were in a psychological sense in taking the attack to the Aussies and in scoring quickly to ensure results. He gets overlooked in most of the retrospectives about that series, but having an English opener go after Australia’s quicks when we’d spent the previous 15 years just desperately trying to hang on was a big psychological shift.
    Lovely player to watch as well

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Surely Jacques Kallis gets in ahead of Crowe?
    Martin Crowe is an absolute hero of mine though - have to have him in. Probably before your time but a wonderful man to watch

I’ve got all those, but I’d be able to put Gavaskar in ahead of Cook.
    Actually, don’t know if this counts, but I saw Sobers play (albeit in an old fúcker’s game at The Oval when he was about 50) and he’d have to get a spot ahead of Ponting -which also sorts your bowling issue out.
    Actually I could have put Gavaskar in - saw him in this match
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1987

Actually forgotten I'd seen Khan and Dev play too Think Imran might even squeeze McGrath out of my team

Actually I could have put Gavaskar in - saw him in this match
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...f-england-1987

Actually forgotten I'd seen Khan and Dev play too Think Imran might even squeeze McGrath out of my team
    LOL! That's where I saw him, too. I remember thinking 'How come this little Indian chap is playing the fearsome Marshall as if he's all the time in the world, when our players are being ripped apart by him?

The answer, of course, was that he was much, much better than them.

I remember Imran's knock in that game, too. Who would have thought he'd end up being Prime Minister of Pakistan, eh?

Martin Crowe is an absolute hero of mine though - have to have him in. Probably before your time but a wonderful man to watch
    His on-drive was a thing of beauty. He, on the other hand, was not.

Nah. It was scoring 407 a/o in just under 80 overs on the first day of the 2nd test that turned things around after the Lords humiliation.

MK got 90 in 102 balls. That set it up for KP and Freddie to continue.

But I haven't watched any retrospectives. I only have my memories from the time. If only we had an opener like him now.