Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
Was it the first year of fences that the unwashed tried to climb over? I had a group of chums, ex-squaddies, who did security that year. They had the greatest weekend ever, beating up hippies, stealing their drugs and selling them on.
No. That was shortly after 2000 - my only visit. Those days,the traveller field had moved outside but Eavis had given us that space from a month before. Came up one night mid-week before kick off and handed out 2k free passes.

But for those of us who weren't there, we'd just walk down to the main gate and ask the "security" lad which way was the quickest to bunk in and he'd tell us.

By the traveller's field being outside, it meant we could keep the raves going all night - not bound by the Glasto license, see?

But a year or two later, Mean Fiddler took over and free entry ended, and I've refused to go ever since, even though I could have blagged in for a bit of work with Lost Vagueness or Minscule of Sound or whatever. Fück that, if it ain't free, count me out.