Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So Jeremy Hunt has decided a good way to convince the Tory membership

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I'd vote for you if you promised all Corbynistas would be sent to a Gulag. We could get rid of you once you'd done that, and you'd become a hero of the moderate wing. A John Smith, pbuh, if you like.
    This is exactly what Boris is for: Get us out of the EU and nobody really gives a fúck what he does after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Though the 'Battle of the Jeremys' at the next GE would have an interesting ring to it.

potd, a

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    potd, a
    indeed. With an unspoken Emery reference too.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Originally, it meant dirty Liberal anti-imperialists.
    I'm surprised you didn't agree with then, B. {Have you read Gentlemanly Capitalism by Cain and Hopkins?)

Basically, once we'd repealed the corn laws, and introduced free trade, we had a massive advantage which meant that the dominance of the City backed up by the RN meant we effectively had an informal, free trade empire, eg Argentina, which made us loads more cash than the mercantilist formal bits like India, so they thought why bother paying to civilise the natives?

Thought that that would have been up your street. Don't tell me you're a pro-Corn Law imperialist (in 1840s terms?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't agree with then, B. {Have you read Gentlemanly Capitalism by Cain and Hopkins?)

Basically, once we'd repealed the corn laws, and introduced free trade, we had a massive advantage which meant that the dominance of the City backed up by the RN meant we effectively had an informal, free trade empire, eg Argentina, which made us loads more cash than the mercantilist formal bits like India, so they thought why bother paying to civilise the natives?

Thought that that would have been up your street. Don't tell me you're a pro-Corn Law imperialist (in 1840s terms?)
    No, but where would the world be if it weren't for us being on the ground telling savages how to behave, eh? It's not just about money! There's the white man's burden to consider, for God's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    No, but where would the world be if it weren't for us being on the ground telling savages how to behave, eh? It's not just about money! There's the white man's burden to consider, for God's sake!
    I love Kipling but hate The White Man's Burden.

Not because I'm stupid enough to ignore the good parts of white imperialism amongst the rape and pillage but because he was asking the Septics to join in. Fück that.

They shouldn't have been allowed the 13 shîtholes they started with, let alone anywhere else.

Can you really imagine Gunga Din being officered by Septics? Or more to the point, some Septic "doughboy" saying "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din?"

No, Johnny Septic would have turned the first holy cow he saw into a hamburger and the resulting kick-off would have made the Mutiny look like the Dalai Lama playing Glasto.

{You should read Gent Cap by C+H. I can send you a download or pdf/read to my private online library of academic texts if you want. It's the seminal work on the economics of the British empire. If a druggie, lefty crusty is telling you to read an article about how public schoolboys in the city made the modern world, you really should:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ppch9lp2yy...96293.pdf?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib3uevyas3qdryc/2596481.pdf?dl=1

Check I've got the order right. 25 pages each half. But the most important work in half a century.