Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Jeremy Hunt has decided a good way to convince the Tory membership

So Jeremy Hunt has decided a good way to convince the Tory membership

that they should vote for him over Boris would be to call Brexit voters “Little Englanders”

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    that they should vote for him over Boris would be to call Brexit voters” Little Englanders”
    Utterly fúcking bizarre, isn't it? I'm really struggling to discern what the fúck is going on in the heads of his team. I can think of few pitches less likely to appeal to the membership than 'I am a committed Remainer who is effectively Theresa May in trousers and I solemnly promise to kick the Brexit can down the road indefinitely until such time as I reckon we can get away with dumping the whole idea.'

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Utterly fúcking bizarre, isn't it? I'm really struggling to discern what the fúck is going on in the heads of his team. I can think of few pitches less likely to appeal to the membership than 'I am a committed Remainer who is effectively Theresa May in trousers and I solemnly promise to kick the Brexit can down the road indefinitely until such time as I reckon we can get away with dumping the whole idea.'
    If that is what he believes in then so be it , unless you want him to lie and then change his mind when in power? Heaven fobid a politician telling the truth.

I suppose he could just refuse to answer all questions and come across as a complete and utter idiotic ****.

This country is fúcked
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    If that is what he believes in then so be it , unless you want him to lie and then change his mind when in power? Heaven fobid a politician telling the truth.

I suppose he could just refuse to answer all questions and come across as a complete and utter idiotic ****.

This country is fúcked
    He may believe whatever the fúck he likes. However, if those beliefs are completely at odds with the wishes of an electorate to which he is supposedly attempting to appeal and will ensure he isn't elected, uttering them makes him pretty much an idiotic **** himself, doesn't it?

A classic case of 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt', I'd say.

He may believe whatever the fúck he likes. However, if those beliefs are completely at odds with the wishes of an electorate to which he is supposedly attempting to appeal and will ensure he isn't elected, uttering them makes him pretty much an idiotic **** himself, doesn't it?

A classic case of 'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt', I'd say.
    It's hardly his fault if he believes remain is the better position than a no deal brexit. I'd rather he tells it like it is than say nothing and then show his true colours after the election.

Tory Mp's chose a remainer and a hard line Brexiteer as their final 2, i would suggest that is a better option as it gives members a clear distinction if they are going to choose their leader on Brexit. if they chose their leader on other policies then we are in for a **** storm of the highest order as Boris does he wants for himself and not for the general good of the UK imho

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    It's hardly his fault if he believes remain is the better position than a no deal brexit. I'd rather he tells it like it is than say nothing and then show his true colours after the election.

Tory Mp's chose a remainer and a hard line Brexiteer as their final 2, i would suggest that is a better option as it gives members a clear distinction if they are going to choose their leader on Brexit. if they chose their leader on other policies then we are in for a **** storm of the highest order as Boris does he wants for himself and not for the general good of the UK imho
    It's absolutely his fault if he believes that. It's also absolutely his fault if he believes that and then decides to try and lead a party the majority of whose members absolutely do not believe that. It would be akin to me attempting to win the leadership of the Labour Party with a policy platform of lower taxes, lower public spending, law and order and Hard Brexit - in other words, it's fúcking hopeless, pointless and stupid.

Frankly, I wish I had as much faith as you Remainers appear to have in Boris doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Burney; 06-26-2019 at 10:17 AM.

It's absolutely his fault if he believes that. It's also absolutely his fault if he believes that and then decides to try and lead a party the majority of whose members absolutely do not believe that. It would be akin to me attempting to win the leadership of the Labour Party with a policy platform of lower taxes, lower public spending, law and order and Hard Brexit - in other words, it's fúcking hopeless, pointless and stupid.
    Let's also remember that it's very likely that MPs coordinated their votes in the last round of voting to deliberately pit Hunt (rather than Gove) against Boris in the final, knowing that it would assure Boris a walkover victory. So Hunt's presence in the final two is in no way a validation of his remainer inclinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Let's also remember that it's very likely that MPs coordinated their votes in the last round of voting to deliberately pit Hunt (rather than Gove) against Boris in the final, knowing that it would assure Boris a walkover victory. So Hunt's presence in the final two is in no way a validation of his remainer inclinations.
    No, but I would argue that the presence of Stewart, Hancock and Hunt in the race is symptomatic of the vast gulf that exists between sections of the Parliamentary Tory party and the overwhelming majority of its members and voters. That's going to need sorting out sharpish.

Well it would only have taken a handful of Boris-supporting MPs to give Hunt their vote to fix the final.

But yes, agree with the general point.

Frankly, I wish I had as much faith as you Remainers appear to have in Boris doing the right thing.
    So he shouldn't have views that don't agree with the voting members? If they disagree with him the Boris will win easily......

I'd rather he stuck to his beliefs and lost than lie through his teeth, win and then change his mind.

As I said, if it is on brexit Boris will win, if it is on other policies then it is anyones guess as Boris is a law to himslef and is likely to change his mind to suit his own agenda