Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BookWIMB.

BookWIMB.

You have no doubt read the hype around latest Scandi sensation Nicklas Natt och Dag - but don't let that put you off. His The Wolf and The Watchman is a triumph.

Full review: It's got plenty violence but no boobs.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    You have no doubt read the hype around latest Scandi sensation Nicklas Natt och Dag - but don't let that put you off. His The Wolf and The Watchman is a triumph.

Enjoy.
    I'm just reading, Ben Macintyre - The Spy and the Traitor. Picked it up at the airport last week. I recall you enjoy the genre.
    Very good KGB spy ****, and all that...Definitely recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    I'm just reading, Ben Macintyre - The Spy and the Traitor. Picked it up at the airport last week. I recall you enjoy the genre.
    Read that last year. Amazing stuff. Gordievsky had some proper balls on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 7sisters View Post
    Listened to the audiobook a couple of weeks ago. Terrific stuff.

I love Ben.

Listened to the audiobook a couple of weeks ago. Terrific stuff.

I love Ben.
    I don't normally approve of traitors - even when they're on the right side - but I have to say that old Oleg has my admiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I don't normally approve of traitors - even when they're on the right side - but I have to say that old Oleg has my admiration.
    The brass balls on that boy.

The cars, the baby, the nappy... What a top tale.

You like your books a bit paddy, don't you? Are you a fan of Joseph O'Connor? I liked his Star of the Sea. Anyway, Shadowplay is rather fun. It's got thon Bram Stoker and Henry Irving in, for all love!

Also, I'm currently listening to Court Number One: The Old Bailey Trials that Defined Modern Britain. Recommended.

The brass balls on that boy.

The cars, the baby, the nappy... What a top tale.

You like your books a bit paddy, don't you? Are you a fan of Joseph O'Connor? I liked his Star of the Sea. Anyway, Shadowplay is rather fun. It's got thon Bram Stoker and Henry Irving in, for all love!

Also, I'm currently listening to Court Number One: The Old Bailey Trials that Defined Modern Britain. Recommended.
    It was the thing of going into the Ljubjanka knowing they were onto him that impressed me.

I did like Star of the Sea (although it stole Wuthering Heights' narrative structure wholesale) and am wondering what to do with my remaining Audible Credit this month. I shall give it a whirl. Ta.

btw, if you're on the lookout for a new podcast, there's one with James Holland and Al Murray that discusses much WWII minutiae called 'We have ways of making you talk' (terrible title, I know) and is really quite fun, nerdy and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It was the thing of going into the Ljubjanka knowing they were onto him that impressed me.

I did like Star of the Sea (although it stole Wuthering Heights' narrative structure wholesale) and am wondering what to do with my remaining Audible Credit this month. I shall give it a whirl. Ta.

btw, if you're on the lookout for a new podcast, there's one with James Holland and Al Murray that discusses much WWII minutiae called 'We have ways of making you talk' (terrible title, I know) and is really quite fun, nerdy and interesting.
    Nice, thank you, I will subscribe.

Another nice Audible recommendation I have for you is A Gentleman in Moscow... I've only listened to the first chapter but I liked it so much I'm saving it for the drive to 't Lakes next week.

Very well c, I shall delve further. But I warn you I am very discerning and if it is

Enjoy.
    anything less than sublime in both conception and execution you will be roundly ****ed off in front of the whole board.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    anything less than sublime in both conception and execution you will be roundly ****ed off in front of the whole board.
    I have seen it compared to Iain Pears' An Instance of the Fingerpost, and whilst I don't believe it's quite up that high mark, it's not far off.