Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BookWIMB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I have seen it compared to Iain Pears' An Instance of the Fingerpost, and whilst I don't believe it's quite up that high mark, it's not far off.
    Good Lord, a whole five pounds on kindle! I'm used to paying 99p for a Dickens or Wodehouse.

I shall report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Good Lord, a whole five pounds on kindle! I'm used to paying 99p for a Dickens or Wodehouse.

I shall report back.
    99p for a Dickens? You've been ripped orf, my son. One used to be able to get the complete (illustrated) works of Dickens for £1.99. Though that was some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    99p for a Dickens? You've been ripped orf, my son. One used to be able to get the complete (illustrated) works of Dickens for £1.99. Though that was some years ago.
    Being out of copyright means the Dickster's stuff is dirt cheap everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Don't be absurd a. How can a Kindle have pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Being out of copyright means the Dickster's stuff is dirt cheap everywhere.
    well 99p must be considered dirt cheap even for a parsimonious tight-wad like you b.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Read that last year. Amazing stuff. Gordievsky had some proper balls on him.
    I generally like Macintyre in the Times, but as PE point out, he really should have removed all the errors about Michael Foot from the paperback edition. The fact that he hasn't makes me question how much other bull**** he's told me over the years. I've been reading since him since he was Paris correspondent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I generally like Macintyre in the Times, but as PE point out, he really should have removed all the errors about Michael Foot from the paperback edition. The fact that he hasn't makes me question how much other bull**** he's told me over the years. I've been reading since him since he was Paris correspondent.
    What errors? Foot was listed by the KGB as an agent.

Gordievsky was so effective precisely because his intelligence was so accurate. Why would you think it would be inaccurate in this instance?

Just because he won a libel case doesn't mean he wasn't. Liberace won a libel case over suggestions he was a bummer. Maxwell won umpteen libel cases over suggestions he was a crook. Now of course it could be the case that the KGB's London station were simply making it up to look good, but there's no archive evidence either way.