Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I see Afghanistan and Bangladesh are competing in the 'Backwards Third-World Dump'

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    A bit like how the US breezed into Afghanistan in 2001, knocked over the bad guys and , um, 18 years later are still failing to get control.

And ONE holy river flows through Croydon. The mighty Wandle.
    Wow. I didn't know we had a holy river. Where is it in relation to East Croydon station or the Whitgift Centre? Does it have chillum-smoking and meditating monks on its banks?

Still not as many as Bangladesh, mind. And there aren't many tigers, elephants or holy cows in Croydon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Tbf, g, whilst I bow to know man in my appreciation of the delights of the *ahem* 'developing world' metropolis, you must admit that the term 'thrid world shíthole' coulkd easily have been invented for Dacca. And, by some strange coincidence, I have a new Afghani chum, and he told me recently how he was talk to strip and reassemble an AK47 by the time he was 8 years old because, 'Anyone could try to kill you at any time'.
    I trust your judgement, C. I've obviously never been to Dacca. While I respect them for letting the noble Indians liberate them from the dastardly 'Stanis in '71, I still haven't forgiven them for siding with Jinnah in '47. Hope the 'Ghanis hammer them.

Often dreadfully wet, Bangladesh.
    To the point of drowning, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    I trust your judgement, C. I've obviously never been to Dacca. While I respect them for letting the noble Indians liberate them from the dastardly 'Stanis in '71, I still haven't forgiven them for siding with Jinnah in '47. Hope the 'Ghanis hammer them.
    I was in and out as a guest of the Bangladeshi parliament, so you'd imagine I'd have got to see the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Wow. I didn't know we had a holy river. Where is it in relation to East Croydon station or the Whitgift Centre? Does it have chillum-smoking and meditating monks on its banks?

Still not as many as Bangladesh, mind. And there aren't many tigers, elephants or holy cows in Croydon.
    All rivers are holy imo. Bringers of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    All rivers are holy imo. Bringers of life.
    As I recall, much of the Wandle where I grew up is underground. It didn't seem to possess much in the way of divinity.

Remind me again, how many of the Tory toffs managed to get back from Kabul in 1842? They went in in 1839 with a pack of fox hounds and two camels carrying the officers' cigars, so I'm sure they must have had the backward 3rd world dump well under manners 3 years later.

Also, the capital of Bengal, before the 1905 partition, was Calcutta whose uni let in totty about a decade before Oxford or Cambridge did. So definitely more enlightened.

And how many holy rivers flow through Croydon?
    There's no such thing as a holy river, gg. Only backwards, third-world savages believe in that sort of thing. We gave up on all that when we around the same time as we stopped painting ourselves blue.

I was in and out as a guest of the Bangladeshi parliament, so you'd imagine I'd have got to see the best of it.

One of the glw's mates is the daughter of the Bangla that signed the '71 treaty. But if you say the nice bits are shît, it must be a dive. No lovely Lutyens architecture, I take it, as in civilised sub-continental capitals?

One of the glw's mates is the daughter of the Bangla that signed the '71 treaty. But if you say the nice bits are shît, it must be a dive. No lovely Lutyens architecture, I take it, as in civilised sub-continental capitals?
    Not the bits I saw. Imagine the really crumbling bits of paharganj. Now imagine much, much worse...

Not the bits I saw. Imagine the really crumbling bits of paharganj. Now imagine much, much worse...
    Disclaimer: that was 10 years ago. It might be like Manhattan now.