Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, BoJo or JHunt then?

Hunt is in balls deep with the Chinese so expect Social Scores to be a thing...

Although I wouldn’t mind him going all Tiananmen Square in those climate change w ankers

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    It's going to be Boris. The sheer ferocity with which the Remain establishment is attacking him tells you that for anyone who actually wants to Leave the EU, there is no alternative. The fact they'd prefer Hunt tells you he's the enemy.

It's also amusing watching the attempted smear job regarding this domestic backfiring on them and their utter bemusement at the fact that it's not damaging him.
    Well yes, but the reality is that we don’t really know how many people want to leave the EU at an cost, not at any level. Boris will be successful only if he can convince the majority of Tories that the options are a hard Brexit or a good possibility of a Corbyn government. Hunt, on the other hand, might be able to play it several ways as he isn’t the all or nothing candidate that Boris seems to be. I also think you are under-estimating his ability to f*ck it up.

On a related note; I’m slightly worried about my all consuming hatred for John McDonnell. It started with irritation, moved on to outright hatred followed by YouTube searches of him being an idiot, and has now progressed to dreams about killing him.

I think I may need help.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Well yes, but the reality is that we don’t really know how many people want to leave the EU at an cost, not at any level. Boris will be successful only if he can convince the majority of Tories that the options are a hard Brexit or a good possibility of a Corbyn government. Hunt, on the other hand, might be able to play it several ways as he isn’t the all or nothing candidate that Boris seems to be. I also think you are under-estimating his ability to f*ck it up.

On a related note; I’m slightly worried about my all consuming hatred for John McDonnell. It started with irritation, moved on to outright hatred followed by YouTube searches of him being an idiot, and has now progressed to dreams about killing him.

I think I may need help.
    Hunt is just continuity May. Electing him would simply allow the Brexit Party to go nuclear. The Tory party couldn't survive it.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

I think I may need help.
    Funny how we all live in worlds inhabited by different demons. You worry about John McDonnell, I worry about John Bolton.

Hunt is just continuity May. Electing him would simply allow the Brexit Party to go nuclear. The Tory party couldn't survive it.
    Did you see a handful of Labour MPs are rallying round the idea of voting the withdrawal agreement through on the basis that it's the only way to stop No Deal?

You know, exactly like I predicted?

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post
    Indeed he is, but he has absolutely no principles and that's something we need in our next PM.
    You may well be right here, a.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Did you see a handful of Labour MPs are rallying round the idea of voting the withdrawal agreement through on the basis that it's the only way to stop No Deal?

You know, exactly like I predicted?
    ArcticGoodnaturedChameleon-small.jpg

Just give it up, m.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It was interesting to me that his next door neighbour happened to have a device capable of recording sounds remarkably clearly through a wall, as well as the number of a Guardian journalist to hand. It's almost as if they've been anticipating raking up some muck.

On the other hand, Boris doesn't help himself, does he? If anyone can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's Boris.

He is also clearly a mendacious, immoral megalomaniacal halfwit. Not that any of that should influence whether his is PM, of course; but it is something to ponder the next time he does his amiable buffoon schtick.
    Aren't they theatre directors or something? I've got a barely used* Tascam sound recorder in the drawer next to me that would pick up everything the neighbours said if the input was set to directional. And if I plugged our Sennheiser mic in and pointed it in the right direction, I could probably hear what's happening in Berni's shed.

*I did take it to the British Library in 2014 for the debate on the causes of WW1, with Gary Sheffield and the OU's Annika Mombauer on the sensible side of the debate. Got a copy of that in dropbox if you want a listen. I recorded it in .wav so it's a big file, but top quality.

Oh, the fact that it's such a clearly orchestrated campaign of smears is one of the things that's rendering it wholly ineffective. It really is ant the stage now that if you see the usual suspects on the warpath against Johnson, it only makes one more determined to vote for him. They probably hoped that he would do the damage for them by saying something idiotic, but since whoever's running his campaign is wisely limiting his public appearances, they're left to fall back on this sort of attack - which is wholly counterproductive.

And I hold no brief for Boris's soul - indeed I largely agree with you. However, I increasingly think such a person may be exactly what we need at this stage. We've had three years of the careful, considered, technocratic approach and here we still are. If what it takes to get us out is a wilful, capricious buffoon, then I'm all for it.
    Of course he's gonna win.

The poll of Tory members found that by majorities of around 60-26, they'd accept the loss of the Jocks, a united Ireland, severe damage to the economy and the complete destruction of the Tory party if that was the price of Brexit.

Almost half would be happy with Farrage as leader.

Hunt will just keep his head down and let BoJo be the man that destroys the country that spent 3 centuries creating the modern, global economy and its most successful party.

He'll make Lord North look like Gladstone or Palmerston.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Of course he's gonna win.

The poll of Tory members found that by majorities of around 60-26, they'd accept the loss of the Jocks, a united Ireland, severe damage to the economy and the complete destruction of the Tory party if that was the price of Brexit.

Almost half would be happy with Farrage as leader.

Hunt will just keep his head down and let BoJo be the man that destroys the country that spent 3 centuries creating the modern, global economy and its most successful party.

He'll make Lord North look like Gladstone or Palmerston.
    At the moment Boris is just about the only candidate who can rescue the Tory Party. Left to its own devices, it will annihilate itself.