Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funnily enough, I recently attended the Mayfield Agricultural Show

Funnily enough, I recently attended the Mayfield Agricultural Show

and visited the beer tent for a fortifying ale. Whilst sipping warm beer from a plastic cup I looked around at the assembled farmers, country gents and assorted hangers-on and shed a silent tear of thanks that I was born an Englishman. These, truly, were my people, and I adored them all, for all their strange ways. Even the beardy ones.

Good God. Imahgine being foreign!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    and visited the beer tent for a fortifying ale. Whilst sipping warm beer from a plastic cup I looked around at the assembled farmers, country gents and assorted hangers-on and shed a silent tear of thanks that I was born an Englishman. These, truly, were my people, and I adored them all, for all their strange ways. Even the beardy ones.

Good God. Imahgine being foreign!
    Mayfield? I used to work in Mayfield. Opposite the convent.

We burnt some dirty prods there back in the day. Good timez.

Agree about the foreignness. Can't think how people stick it, really. Terrible burden to be born with, not being English.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Mayfield? I used to work in Mayfield. Opposite the convent.

We burnt some dirty prods there back in the day. Good timez.

Agree about the foreignness. Can't think how people stick it, really. Terrible burden to be born with, not being English.
    This was just a field in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I've ever been to Mayfield qua Mayfield.

American. Imagine waking up to find that you've become American.

Or French.

This was just a field in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I've ever been to Mayfield qua Mayfield.

Or French.
    I could hack being French more easily than American. I've been thinking about it since my last visit to the states and there's definitely something about being in a place where there's just nothing old that really fúcks with your head if you're from a place where you take the presence of old stuff for granted. It gives me a strange feeling of unreality.

I could hack being French more easily than American. I've been thinking about it since my last visit to the states and there's definitely something about being in a place where there's just nothing old that really fúcks with your head if you're from a place where you take the presence of old stuff for granted. It gives me a strange feeling of unreality.
    France? Awful food. They do a good line in wines and cheeses though, I'll give them that.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Oh I wouldn't mind the 'being in France' part of being French; there are all sorts of things that make up for the population. It would be the being French bit that would be the disappointment.

Oh I wouldn't mind the 'being in France' part of being French; there are all sorts of things that make up for the population. It would be the being French bit that would be the disappointment.
    Yes. To be fair, it was all going pretty well up until about 1759 and there was a high point during the Napoleonic era, but in general it has to be a hard row to hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post
    France? Awful food. They do a good line in wines and cheeses though, I'll give them that.
    You cannot diss French food. Consider the following dishes:

Chips fried in duck grease.
    Le Welsh Complet
    Ouefs en meurette
    Rognons de veau, sauce moutarde

These are some of the finest dishes available anywhere on earth.

You cannot diss French food. Consider the following dishes:

Chips fried in duck grease.
    Le Welsh Complet
    Ouefs en meurette
    Rognons de veau, sauce moutarde

These are some of the finest dishes available anywhere on earth.
    It's very important to have chips with your Welsh Complet imo.

Or French.
    I frequently give the good Lord a nod of thanks for the unsurpassable blessing of being born an englishman. But I have to say the only other nationality I could bear to be is american. Rock 'n roll ya see? Without them, we would all still be singing hymns. Imagine being german.