Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overrated things: Beer festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You would hate a beer festival. HATE IT. Far more than me.
    I had a lovely afternoon at a beer festival about 10 years ago, sitting outside the hall watching a village cricket match. A proper John Major afternoon.

I saw one advertised as featuring 200 beers, once. What's the point in that? You're going to die after the first 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    prosecco, Not the drink it self but the Women who get overexcited by the thought of having a glass of it and do that girlie clapping excited thing.
    To be honest, most fizzy wine can do one, f.

Street food is fine apart from the requirement to eat it in the street, which largely ruins the experience (and very probably one's shirt). I had a very tasty roti canai and curry from a Malaysian van thingy recently, but there was nowhere to sit, so I ended up having to work out how to eat this sloppy mess while standing around. I ended up binning half of it in frustration.
    Best eaten in south-east Asia, squatting on those childs' plastic chairs and using a toilet roll as a napkin

I was once enjoying a remarkably good curry on a soi off Sukhumvit Road when a rat ran over my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I had a lovely afternoon at a beer festival about 10 years ago, sitting outside the hall watching a village cricket match. A proper John Major afternoon.

I saw one advertised as featuring 200 beers, once. What's the point in that? You're going to die after the first 60.
    Yes, if you can find a place to sit and decent people to talk to, it's fine. But all too often, it means being surrounded by sweaty, ale-farting men in a village hall or similar. Shíte.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    So how many have you been to?
    I suppose a dozen or so in my life. Maybe more.

Drinking warm beer out of plastic cups - usually while while standing up and surrounded by the sort of people (let's face it: men) who attend beer festivals. You end up drinking several beers you don't like rather than just sticking with one you do (as you would in a pub) and paying an entry fee for the privilege.

Balls to that.
    Oh god, yes. dreadful events. dreadful people.

“Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

The thing is, I love real ale and actually think CAMRA did important work back in the day defeating the evil of keg bitter. But the fact remains that the movement attracts the sort of men who use terms like 'quaffable', 'floral notes' and 'chocolatey malt' when describing beer. Headgear, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by IUFG View Post

Yes, in addition to sh1t beer there is the presence of beardy weirdy sandal wearing muppets who drink only halves and comment on the 'nose' of the beer. Want shooting - all of them.

A pint of lager does tend to make them steer clear of you, however. Win win imo.

The thing is, I love real ale and actually think CAMRA did important work back in the day defeating the evil of keg bitter. But the fact remains that the movement attracts the sort of men who use terms like 'quaffable', 'floral notes' and 'chocolatey malt' when describing beer. Headgear, basically.
    Around here there are plenty of Adnams and Greene King pubs that do some fairly nice ales.
    and there are still twáts in the pubs moanning that these breweries beers are too 'mainstream'

then there are places like this, full of ****s www.oldcannonbrewery.co.uk/drink.html drinking awful beers...
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

'Chocolatey malt'
    'Floral notes'