Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: is it wrong to completely ignore someone at work that I despise?

is it wrong to completely ignore someone at work that I despise?

I have no time for this ****ing bore of a person.
    Who only ever wants to talk to me to questions (not work related) about simple tasks in their boring little lives.

I have now been blanking them for 3 successful weeks. I keep it to the bare minimum with greetings. on the flip side they haven't said a word to me either

EDIT: also I go singing the Blakety Blank theme Super match game
    Last edited by Pat Vegas; 05-30-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post
    Who only ever wants to talk to me to questions (not work related) about simple tasks in their boring little lives.

I have now been blanking them for 3 successful weeks. I keep it to the bare minimum with greetings. on the flip side they haven't said a word to me either

politely tell them you are busy and have no time for their inane ramblings, rather then blanking them, f

they haven't said a word to you as I suspect they now think you're a bit of a ****.

so, well played
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Vegas View Post

You are truly in a quandry, Fash. By your description they are undoubtedly English and by their self absorption millennials as well. If I may, allow the Ol' Chief to venture forth a constructive suggestion that has worked most every time it has been deployed.

When your English co-worker attempts to engage you in some inanity regarding their personal life the natural reaction is to recoil and disengage. Unfortunately this only encourages them to be more persistent. Instead stop what you are doing and look them in the eye with a stoic expression. Now, this will please them and they will only become more intricate and specific about their trivial plight. I know this is the exact opposite of what you want but remember you have a long term objective in mind which is for this person to never approach you again about this stuff. So continue with your gaze.

Now to Step 2. When you sense a gap in the stream now is the time to act. At the pause jump in with an ENGLISH centric question that is as far afield as possible from what they are talking about. Now, this can only be done by non-English folks so hopefully they don't consider you part of the culture. I believe you are Canadian, which is dangerously close, but trust me on this they consider you OUT even though they may pose as if they believe you are in.

So during this pregnant pause ask a totally irrelevant question that throws them off, but the substance of the question suggests that you have a strong curiosity of all things English and wish to become better informed. What kinds of questions do you ask? Allow me a brief sample.

As soon as the pause begins shift your gaze to a quizzical expression and ask, for example --

1) what is done with the Queen's knickers when they are soiled? Wash? Throw away? Preserve for the historic archives?

2) Should the emphasis be on the first or second syllable when saying the word controversy?

3) Why is it 6's and 7's instead of 8's and 9's?

4) Should you put milk in before or after tea?

The response will hopefully be a blank or confused look on their face. They may even answer. If they answer enthusiastically say "Thanks!" or "Ahhh ... Cheers!". Then immediately turn and walk away. Now they can't rightly condemn you because the question itself is innocuous and actually slightly endearing in its earnest curiosity and the attempt to gain cultural knowledge. Instead they will become hesitant to engage in their self absorbed thought. It may take a couple of tries at this so do some research on the questions you might like to ask. In fact while you are pretending to be interested recall the question you shall ask and then focus on immediately recognizing the conversational pause.

Hope this Helps.

The Ol' Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Arrowhead View Post
    You are truly in a quandry, Fash. By your description they are undoubtedly English and by their self absorption millennials as well. If I may, allow the Ol' Chief to venture forth a constructive suggestion that has worked most every time it has been deployed.

When your English co-worker attempts to engage you in some inanity regarding their personal life the natural reaction is to recoil and disengage. Unfortunately this only encourages them to be more persistent. Instead stop what you are doing and look them in the eye with a stoic expression. Now, this will please them and they will only become more intricate and specific about their trivial plight. I know this is the exact opposite of what you want but remember you have a long term objective in mind which is for this person to never approach you again about this stuff. So continue with your gaze.

Now to Step 2. When you sense a gap in the stream now is the time to act. At the pause jump in with an ENGLISH centric question that is as far afield as possible from what they are talking about. Now, this can only be done by non-English folks so hopefully they don't consider you part of the culture. I believe you are Canadian, which is dangerously close, but trust me on this they consider you OUT even though they may pose as if they believe you are in.

So during this pregnant pause ask a totally irrelevant question that throws them off, but the substance of the question suggests that you have a strong curiosity of all things English and wish to become better informed. What kinds of questions do you ask? Allow me a brief sample.

As soon as the pause begins shift your gaze to a quizzical expression and ask, for example --

1) what is done with the Queen's knickers when they are soiled? Wash? Throw away? Preserve for the historic archives?

2) Should the emphasis be on the first or second syllable when saying the word controversy?

3) Why is it 6's and 7's instead of 8's and 9's?

4) Should you put milk in before or after tea?

The response will hopefully be a blank or confused look on their face. They may even answer. If they answer enthusiastically say "Thanks!" or "Ahhh ... Cheers!". Then immediately turn and walk away. Now they can't rightly condemn you because the question itself is innocuous and actually slightly endearing in its earnest curiosity and the attempt to gain cultural knowledge. Instead they will become hesitant to engage in their self absorbed thought. It may take a couple of tries at this so do some research on the questions you might like to ask. In fact while you are pretending to be interested recall the question you shall ask and then focus on immediately recognizing the conversational pause.

Hope this Helps.

The Ol' Chief
    tl;dr

did notice tea / milk in there, and the answer is ALWAYS after
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”