Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have decided to stop identifying as a football fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Did he ever stand four square on the old North Bank like us c, repelling the invading Irons with his bare fists? I very much doubt it.
    I had a skinhead, 96 hole oxblood DMs with razor blades poking out of the toes and a butcher's coat h. I expect we battled back to back for the honour of our club on many occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I had a skinhead, 96 hole oxblood DMs with razor blades poking out of the toes and a butcher's coat h. I expect we battled back to back for the honour of our club on many occasions.
    Ah yes. I traded in my butcher's coat for a sheepskin that cost the equivalent, in today's money, of a fahsund pahnd when the North Bank could no longer give me enough of a challenge and I graduated to the Clock End.

Bless your heart, but I’ve known you almost 20 years, and of all your qualities, good or and, you have never been any5hingclose to being a football fan. In 2004 you were bitching about how **** Thierry Henry was, for all love. No, stickball is you4 thing, and that’s fine.
    How dare you deny my lived experience, you fascist oppressor!

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    How dare you deny my lived experience, you fascist oppressor!
    Sorry about that b.

Sorry about that b.
    Yes, well just don't do it again, lest I take to Twitter to express my outrage.

Yes, well just don't do it again, lest I take to Twitter to express my outrage.
    There doesn't seem to be much twitter outrage around recently. Even the Cleese furore seems to have diminished rapidly to nothing.

There doesn't seem to be much twitter outrage around recently. Even the Cleese furore seems to have diminished rapidly to nothing.
    Yes well they couldn't get him sacked, professionally damaged or deplatformed due to him being rich, largely retired and 79 years old, so there wasn't anywhere they could go with their outrage. There was also the small matter of rather a lot of people agreeing with him and thinking it was a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

Yes well they couldn't get him sacked, professionally damaged or deplatformed due to him being rich, largely retired and 79 years old, so there wasn't anywhere they could go with their outrage. There was also the small matter of rather a lot of people agreeing with him and thinking it was a perfectly reasonable thing to say.
    If he'd said that London was an 'international city' there would probably have been a lot of nodding and murmuring of approval from those who got so upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    If he'd said that London was an 'international city' there would probably have been a lot of nodding and murmuring of approval from those who got so upset.
    The extraordinary thing is that the same people who will happily celebrate every other ethnicity that makes its home in London will throw their hands up in horror at the mere suggestion that there is even such a thing an English ethnicity.

The extraordinary thing is that the same people who will happily celebrate every other ethnicity that makes its home in London will throw their hands up in horror at the mere suggestion that there is even such a thing an English ethnicity.
    Ethnicity, indigenous, immigrant and all that aside, what he said is true for the large majority of the biggest cities in the western world.

I love NYC but most Americans would tell you that it doesn't reflect a typical American city at all. Same is true of Toronto, Paris and Madrid to name but three more.

Point is, who cares?