Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: I see John Cleese has unleashed a shítstorm by the simple expedient of stating a fact

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    But - and this is actually the point - the people were Britons. They were British. Unlike Indians or Africans who were colonised, they were British. So therefore their movement from one part of the Kingdom to another cannot be termed immigration any more than it could if people from Yorkshire moved to London.
    That again is a technicality. They were not indigenous, they were a different religion, many were not primarily English-speaking. None of that is true of people from Yorkshire (apart from the English speaking part perhaps). Their presence here didn't go down well and they faced a great deal of prejudice. They changed the character of parts of London and other cities and gravitated heavily towards manual work and the construction industry. Sounds familiar doesn't it...?

Sorry, but the Acts of Union with Ireland took place in 1800, so any Irish person between that point and 1922 was, by definition, British.
    Tell that to someone who only had an Irish peerage.

You remember what Wellington said when he was given one.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    That again is a technicality. They were not indigenous, they were a different religion, many were not primarily English-speaking. None of that is true of people from Yorkshire (apart from the English speaking part perhaps). Their presence here didn't go down well and they faced a great deal of prejudice. They changed the character of parts of London and other cities and gravitated heavily towards manual work and the construction industry. Sounds familiar doesn't it...?
    Lets not forget that London, in the main, is quite a dreadful place.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

But - and this is actually the point - the people were Britons. They were British. Unlike Indians or Africans who were colonised, they were British. So therefore their movement from one part of the Kingdom to another cannot be termed immigration any more than it could if people from Yorkshire moved to London.
    Fück off, you racist Paddy.

Are you saying that a Maharaja who chose to sign a Subsidiary Alliance with GB, thus making him ruler of an independent state within the British Empire he had willing joined, and who went to Harrow and Oxford and who became and officer and flew planes shooting down the Hun in WW1 is LESS British than some pox-ridden Bogtrotter who got a load of arms off the Germans and tried to stage some Paddy-Prussian revolution that Easter with the express aim of destroying the British empire and handing all the good bits (London, India) to scum like the Hun?

Fück off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Are you saying that a Maharaja who chose to sign a Subsidiary Alliance with GB, thus making him ruler of an independent state within the British Empire he had willing joined, and who went to Harrow and Oxford and who became and officer and flew planes shooting down the Hun in WW1 is LESS British than some pox-ridden Bogtrotter who got a load of arms off the Germans and tried to stage some Paddy-Prussian revolution that Easter with the express aim of destroying the British empire and handing all the good bits (London, India) to scum like the Hun?

Fück off.
    I'm not convinced that transferring the governance of India to the Germans was a primary aim of the Easter Rising.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

Fück off.
    fine work, there GG
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Fück off.
    That would be the 'bogtrotters' who formed the backbone of the British Army for the 19th Century, would it? Or maybe you mean the ones who built the infrastructure of this country? Or maybe the 210,000 Irishmen who fought for Britain in the First World War? Were they were more British than some pampered wog princeling who happened to know which knife and fork to use? Yes. Yes, they were.

Now píss off back to school you thick ****.

Fück off.
    Entertaining stuff, Ganps, but just one thing: I thought you liked being ruled by the Hun.

That would be the 'bogtrotters' who formed the backbone of the British Army for the 19th Century, would it? Or maybe you mean the ones who built the infrastructure of this country? Or maybe the 210,000 Irishmen who fought for Britain in the First World War? Were they were more British than some pampered wog princeling who happened to know which knife and fork to use? Yes. Yes, they were.

Now píss off back to school you thick ****.
    WW2. 2.5m Heroic Indians volunteered to defeat fascism in whichever continent we found it.

How many bogtrotters volunteered? No, they were signing the condolence book when Adolf died.

First British units to stage a conuter-attack in WW1 and hold the ground taken? Oirish Guards? No. The Indian Corps.

What happened when the Oirish and Brittish went into Nepal 200 years ago? Arses handed to them by the Gurkhas.

Indian Mutiny? Oirish and British shîtting themselves (literally - look how Havelock died) before the noble Sikhs and heroic Gurkhas rode to their rescue.

Yet were the Paddies grateful? No. When my boys were heroically fighting in the Middle East they blew up a Dublin post office or something and tried to hand Delhi to the Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Entertaining stuff, Ganps, but just one thing: I thought you liked being ruled by the Hun.
    Nah, I like ruling them.

The EU and QMV is basically the way we kept up our occupation since the Berlin Wall fell.

We've got our way in these votes far more than Germany has. (Or France, or pretty much anyone else. Like 95% of the time.)

We pool sovereignty in this modern world. I mean, if I have to pool it with Sperzers, Norverners, Taffies and Jocks, why not with Frogs, Hun and Oirish?

As long as we have nukes and they don't, they can never get uppity again.