Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
I don't think it's racist to make the point you're making, actually. I would reserve the use of that term for something more significant.

I don't agree with your view that people might feel alienated because they live in a different looking world than their forebears. We have no idea how are ancestors felt as we didn't grow up with them, and in their circumstances. Alienation would have to be part of your own personal experience, I think. And I grew up in an entirely white town but when I moved to Toronto I loved it and felt in no way alienated. And I'm also not buying the land of immigrants theory. Canada was first settled in the 16th century and for over 400 years was almost entirely white European and the change in Toronto is relatively recent i.e the past 30-40 years.
Isn't that interesting? When you speak about Toronto, you speak of it being 50% immigrants and then contrast it with Canada's white history.
The obvious conclusion being that you instinctively equate the word 'immigrant' with the condition of not being white.