Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to spin an election result.

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    You see what you and your sort have done? That's practically the entire Conservative party nowadays
    Not me, mate. It's limp-wristed types like Sir C you want to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Pfff. The centre is dead. You and your moderation and your namby-pamby fears of nasty words have no place in the glorious future, in which the enemies of Britain must be crushed utterly on the way to glorious, sunlit uplands.
    Titter away, but I grew up with stroies of how it was when the centre failed and the extreme ruled - and then I went and saw it for myself, and it makes me nervous. Extremely nervous.

To be fair, May has not once voluntarily ruled out No Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    The problem with the negotiations was May ruling out the no-deal from the start. If you are haggling with someone over the price of a car but say to them that you will buy the car you've already lost.

And right on cue, a district judge has ruled Boris has to go to court to face a charge of "misconduct in public office" over the 350 million a week on the bus. What impeccable timing. The establishment really are pulling out the stops, you have to hand it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Titter away, but I grew up with stroies of how it was when the centre failed and the extreme ruled - and then I went and saw it for myself, and it makes me nervous. Extremely nervous.
    There is no question of the 'extreme' ruling, it's simply that the centre has drifted inexorably left since Thatcher and a correction is required.

That’s utterly mental. It was literally written as a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday Once More View Post
    And right on cue, a district judge has ruled Boris has to go to court to face a charge of "misconduct in public office" over the 350 million a week on the bus. What impeccable timing. The establishment really are pulling out the stops, you have to hand it to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    That’s utterly mental. It was literally written as a suggestion.
    Yes. Political interference from judges; an executive, legislature and civil service determined to defy the public's democratic choice and a supine state broadcaster slavishly broadcasting naked propaganda to support them.

Presumably this is the benign centre we should be trying to support?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Agree 100%.

It also worries me Tory MPs talking of a pact with Farrage. There have been times before when the normal centre-right party thought they could use a right-wing populist by getting him into power in the belief that they could control him once in office. Didn't always work out that well.

If the Tory party simply becomes the party of hard-Brexit English nationalism with a fück business* attitude then it will die long term. The age at which one is more likely to vote Tory has already risen from 47 to 51. The young will never forgive a hard Brexit. The party could be toast.

If my lads had a sensible, centre-left leader we'd be cleaning up. As it stands, we risk destroying an economy and turning the country into a gulag.

We're fücked.

*And this is how screwed we are. We have a lefty like me worried that neither of the major parties are sufficiently pro-business.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. Political interference from judges; an executive, legislature and civil service determined to defy the public's democratic choice and a supine state broadcaster slavishly broadcasting naked propaganda to support them.

Presumably this is the benign centre we should be trying to support?
    So we should be supporting one of our political leaders blatantly lying to the public to get them to vote in a way they may not have done without the lie? This is acceptable behaviour?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    So we should be supporting one of our political leaders blatantly lying to the public to get them to vote in a way they may not have done without the lie? This is acceptable behaviour?
    The trouble is of course that many political leaders "blatantly lied to the public" to influence that referendum. George Osborne promised a punishment budget. David Cameron promised to stay whatever the result. Blimey, HM Government sent a glossy propaganda booklet through everyone's door (which we all paid for) promising to honour the result of the referendum. Should they all be prosecuted? If not, why just Bozza?