Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to spin an election result.

How to spin an election result.

I guess those other two parties didn’t vote for the referendum and to invoke article 50

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat Sverige View Post

I guess those other two parties didn’t vote for the referendum and to invoke article 50
    Those other two parties have also made it very clear they don’t support a hard Brexit. These results suggest that a Remain v hard Brexit referendum would result in a strong Remain vote.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Those other two parties have also made it very clear they don’t support a hard Brexit. These results suggest that a Remain v hard Brexit referendum would result in a strong Remain vote.
    Would a 2nd ref have three questions, with a single transferable vote?

1. May deal (or whatever BoJo can negotiate)
    2. No deal Brexit
    3. Remain

I think in those circumstances option 1 would be the likely winner.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC East View Post

2. No deal Brexit
    3. Remain

I can’t see any deal getting support. Instead of a compromise deal bringing people together they seem to drive people even further apart as they satisfy no one.

I can only see two options; Remain or No Deal. And given that the Leave campaign’s narrative was entirely based on a deal and that as it stands parliament will not allow no deal, the only solution imo is a two choice referendum - Remain or No Deal.

I can’t see any deal getting support. Instead of a compromise deal bringing people together they seem to drive people even further apart as they satisfy no one.

I can only see two options; Remain or No Deal. And given that the Leave campaign’s narrative was entirely based on a deal and that as it stands parliament will not allow no deal, the only solution imo is a two choice referendum - Remain or No Deal.
    BoJo will never let that into the wild as a second vote.

2. No deal Brexit
    3. Remain

But it wouldn't.

All the polling shows the opposite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...ion_referendum

The majority now want to remain, and many Leavers won't take a no deal, or won't take May's deal.

I also think we should have a run off between the top 2 a couple of weeks later like they do in France

That way we can have a proper discussion about what no deal entails.

2. No deal Brexit
    3. Remain

And what's scary is that at the beginning of Apr and beginning of May, 24% chose neither when asked whether they now wanted to Leave or Remain.

How can a quarter of the public want to be neither in nor out of the EU?

They want something that's not actually possible. Like many Brexiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    But it wouldn't.

All the polling shows the opposite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinio...ion_referendum

The majority now want to remain, and many Leavers won't take a no deal, or won't take May's deal.

I also think we should have a run off between the top 2 a couple of weeks later like they do in France

That way we can have a proper discussion about what no deal entails.
    Yeah but polling results are no justification for a second referendum. The justification is that the Leave vote was clearly driven by a ‘we will get a deal’ message, even Farage admits that. If even 600k people of the 17.4mil who voted Leave would have voted differently if they knew it was a no deal, the result would have been Remain.

And as importantly, parliament is clearly at odds with the referendum. The only way to resolve it is to go back to the people with a very clear definition of the options. Leave means no deal, and we always knew what Remain meant so we now have clarity.

Problem is, there are no shortage of Leave voters who are terrified that it was a one off that could never be repeated. Farage falls into this category imo.

I've just been persuaded that Manchester City were NOT the winners of the Premier League. The winners were really LONDON. If you add up the points that the London teams won, they clearly won the title. Glad that's cleared up.

Yeah but polling results are no justification for a second referendum. The justification is that the Leave vote was clearly driven by a ‘we will get a deal’ message, even Farage admits that. If even 600k people of the 17.4mil who voted Leave would have voted differently if they knew it was a no deal, the result would have been Remain.

And as importantly, parliament is clearly at odds with the referendum. The only way to resolve it is to go back to the people with a very clear definition of the options. Leave means no deal, and we always knew what Remain meant so we now have clarity.

Problem is, there are no shortage of Leave voters who are terrified that it was a one off that could never be repeated. Farage falls into this category imo.
    I agree with every word of that except the first sentence.

They are one of the justifications for a 2nd vote. Everyone knows the SNP won't agitate for a 2nd vote till they have the numbers and this is accepted by all sides.

But more importantly, the GFA says that the Paddies can have a Prot vs Papist vote if the polling over a period shows a majority for change.

What's good enough for the bogtrotters is good enough for the Britishers.