Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As the transfer window silliness has not started, let's switch to Brexit

As the transfer window silliness has not started, let's switch to Brexit

rather amusing watching Farage on Question Time and Andrew Marr. Whilst I don't actually think he's a racist f*ckwit, what is worrying about Farage is his ability to over simplify a complex issue and come up with a solution that isn't practical or will have an impact he isn't willing to discuss. A good example is the complexity of Brexit negotiations which apparently would have gone swimmingly if we had simply held back on the 39bil and asked for a free trade deal.

Yeah, because it's that simple Nigel.

Now I must say, I do have sympathy for him on the Marr interview. Clearly Marr had no desire to do anything other than a hatchet job on him. Far better would have been asking him to explain how exactly a free trade deal would solve the Irish border issue (it wouldn't) or how many of the 17.4mil who voted Leave did he think would not have voted for a hard Brexit (surely it is a non-zero number and it would require only 634K to switch their vote in order to change the result) given that the Leave campaign made it clear we would leave with a deal.

I did like the idea that he's open to a second referendum. I have never really believed in one but have come to the conclusion that there are only two options; Remain or a hard Brexit, and it makes sense to me given the political deadlock we have that a referendum with those two options might be the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    rather amusing watching Farage on Question Time and Andrew Marr. Whilst I don't actually think he's a racist f*ckwit, what is worrying about Farage is his ability to over simplify a complex issue and come up with a solution that isn't practical or will have an impact he isn't willing to discuss. A good example is the complexity of Brexit negotiations which apparently would have gone swimmingly if we had simply held back on the 39bil and asked for a free trade deal.

Yeah, because it's that simple Nigel.

Now I must say, I do have sympathy for him on the Marr interview. Clearly Marr had no desire to do anything other than a hatchet job on him. Far better would have been asking him to explain how exactly a free trade deal would solve the Irish border issue (it wouldn't) or how many of the 17.4mil who voted Leave did he think would not have voted for a hard Brexit (surely it is a non-zero number and it would require only 634K to switch their vote in order to change the result) given that the Leave campaign made it clear we would leave with a deal.

I did like the idea that he's open to a second referendum. I have never really believed in one but have come to the conclusion that there are only two options; Remain or a hard Brexit, and it makes sense to me given the political deadlock we have that a referendum with those two options might be the best idea.
    Sorry, i must have missed on the Ballot form where it said stay or leave (with a deal)..... a second ref' should have 2 options, leave with no deal or leave with TM's deal... anything else is a cop out for what the country originally voted for
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Sorry, i must have missed on the Ballot form where it said stay or leave (with a deal)..... a second ref' should have 2 options, leave with no deal or leave with TM's deal... anything else is a cop out for what the country originally voted for
    Agree. I'm very much looking forward to Brexit Party giving Labour and Conservatives a bloody nose on 23rd

He [Farage] believes a second vote will see Leave's share increase and I'm beginning to suspect he'll be right. I have noticed, with people in my own social circle, how much quieter the leavers are. I think remain may well be the archetypal vociferous minority who are convinced they will romp a second referendum based on nothing more than the rather noisy echo chamber they inhabit.

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Agree. I'm very much looking forward to Brexit Party giving Labour and Conservatives a bloody nose on 23rd
    Are you that confident that all 17.4mil people were happy to Leave with a hard Brexit? Not sure how anyone can come to that conclusion given that the narrative of the Leave campaign was very much that that would not happen.

Even Farage accepts that.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    He [Farage] believes a second vote will see Leave's share increase and I'm beginning to suspect he'll be right. I have noticed, with people in my own social circle, how much quieter the leavers are. I think remain may well be the archetypal vociferous minority who are convinced they will romp a second referendum based on nothing more than the rather noisy echo chamber they inhabit.
    GPWM.

The demonisation of leavers has cowed many into silence I expect. I have had to self-censor at work for three years in fear of my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    GPWM.

The demonisation of leavers has cowed many into silence I expect. I have had to self-censor at work for three years in fear of my job.
    Yes, don't get me wrong, even though I voted Remain and would now support a second referendum, if I had to bet I would bet that Leave via hard Brexit wins with a similar majority. I'm even considering voting Leave this time such is my disgust with the EU executive cretins.

But I think there is a strong argument for the referendum that I described.

Yes, don't get me wrong, even though I voted Remain and would now support a second referendum, if I had to bet I would bet that Leave via hard Brexit wins with a similar majority. I'm even considering voting Leave this time such is my disgust with the EU executive cretins.

There should not be an option to stay if there is a second vote, the country voted to leave so the ONLY options should be Hard Brexit or a compromise deal with all the options known in advance
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    GPWM.

You should move to Kent, mate.

The referendum you describe would be inherently fixed as it would split the leave vote.

(Edited: meant for Pokster)