Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good pub lunches in London please. In the vicinity of Camden - Chalk Farm

And you're in a time-warp
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Lord no, English's is very much alive and well, I lunched there last year.

A couple of weeks ago I walked out of Victoria station and wept in front of what used to be Overton's. Why must everything good be taken away?
    Yes. I remember the sadness when it went the way of all flesh.

I remember English's being slightly shabby/genteel, which had its own charm. I imagine it's smartened itself up and serves foreign muck these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Yes. I remember the sadness when it went the way of all flesh.

I remember English's being slightly shabby/genteel, which had its own charm. I imagine it's smartened itself up and serves foreign muck these days?
    No, nothing has changed. In fact, it struck me that English's is probably the closest connection I have to my childhood, for absolutely everything about it is identical to the place I used to be taken by my parents when I was a nipper. Everything else from that time has changed or gone completely.

Well there must have been 30 or 40 of the fúckers in this establishment and every man jack of 'em ordered 'addock, chips, mooshy peas and gravy. Perhaps they weren't actual northerners? They sounded northern and they smelt northern.
    Oh, she loves chips and gravy, but rejects the notion of it with fish.

I love mushy peas. It's best with a saveloy and a battered sausage, though. You slather absolutely fúcking everything with ketchup, salt and vinegar, tip the mushy peas over it and then dig into the delicious mess. Food of the gods.

Funny thing, one battered sausage and one saveloy is perfect, while two of either would be too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    There's **** all by way of decent gastropubs in that vicinity. Head a bit further north:

https://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/

https://www.stjohnstavern.com/
    As your learned friend said, Odettes is the only place in the area worth dining at. Everything further North is full of ****ing Americans.

No, nothing has changed. In fact, it struck me that English's is probably the closest connection I have to my childhood, for absolutely everything about it is identical to the place I used to be taken by my parents when I was a nipper. Everything else from that time has changed or gone completely.
    Really? How wonderful. If I ever visit Brighton again (although I can't really see why I would) I shall go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Oh, she loves chips and gravy, but rejects the notion of it with fish.

I love mushy peas. It's best with a saveloy and a battered sausage, though. You slather absolutely fúcking everything with ketchup, salt and vinegar, tip the mushy peas over it and then dig into the delicious mess. Food of the gods.

Funny thing, one battered sausage and one saveloy is perfect, while two of either would be too much.
    I would point out that the gravy was only used to anoint the chips; it went nowhere near the fish, naturally.

Imagine putting gravy on a turbot. I feel ill now.

I would point out that the gravy was only used to anoint the chips; it went nowhere near the fish, naturally.

Imagine putting gravy on a turbot. I feel ill now.
    I have seen people serving fish with chicken sauce. This strikes me as abominable.

Monty92 "There's **** all by way of decent gastropubs in that vicinity. Head a bit further north:
    https://www.thebullandlast.co.uk/"

Ignore that suggestion EGA
    Unless you can delay your flight back until the Autumn
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Just saw that when I clicked on the link. Too late, I'm here already