Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQwimb

BBQwimb

Slow cooked my first large joint on the weekend, a shoulder of pork (5 pounder).

Put a full chimney of lit charcoal (good quality lumpwood) in the offset smoker and waited for the main grill to come up to temperature (225F).

Barely got past 100F

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it getting done an hour or two early, due to it being closer to the heat.

It was perfectly nice, but definitely suffered for the faster cooking time.

What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    What did I do wrong?
    You failed to put in an oven. in a kitchen.

like any sensible person would.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.”

Slow cooked my first large joint on the weekend, a shoulder of pork (5 pounder).

Put a full chimney of lit charcoal (good quality lumpwood) in the offset smoker and waited for the main grill to come up to temperature (225F).

Barely got past 100F

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it cooking too fast.

What did I do wrong?
    Broke your people's dietary laws as dictated by Yahweh?

You can hardly expect good results when you defy the Living God in such a way, m.

Barely got past 100F

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it cooking too fast.

What did I do wrong?
    Think that a BBQ is ever a sophisticated way to cook meat that will produce something quite exceptional.

It's just not that good.

As a way of spending some time outside in the sun with cold beer or a nice glass of wine while enjoying the social aspect, it's great. As a way to produce really good meat it's just meh.

Barely got past 100F

Ended up creating two heat zones in the main grill instead and cooking it that way, resulting in it getting done an hour or two early, due to it being closer to the heat.

What did I do wrong?
    forgot to put it in the oven.....

PORK??????
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Think that a BBQ is ever a sophisticated way to cook meat that will produce something quite exceptional.

It's just not that good.

As a way of spending some time outside in the sun with cold beer or a nice glass of wine while enjoying the social aspect, it's great. As a way to produce really good meat it's just meh.
    That's simply balls. I smoked a rib-eye on it last week that was a match for anything I've been served up in a high-end steakhouse.

Only question is whether it's worth the faff.

That's simply balls. I smoked a rib-eye on it last week that was a match for anything I've been served up in a high-end steakhouse.

I found an Italian deli this weekend that makes its own excellent sausages and has a superb butcher's counter - including veal.

I can foresee this discovery costing me a horrific amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    I found an Italian deli this weekend that makes its own excellent sausages and has a superb butcher's counter - including veal.

I can foresee this discovery costing me a horrific amount of money.
    Do you cook with fire outdoors, Burney?

Good steak cooked properly does not need smoking, Monty. Especially a rib-eye which has all the required fat.

And while I like to do massive rib-eyes on the BBQ as well, had I seasoned it properly, pan fried it on a high heat and then cooked it low and slow in an oven it would have been just as tasty.

BBQing is a nice thing to do outside on a summer day, it isn't haute cuisine.

Come on m. You are a famously useless ****er. BBQ'ing is a manly pursuit and you are basically an effete ladyboy.