Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So there we have it, the league is now finished and we can conduct a quantitative

So there we have it, the league is now finished and we can conduct a quantitative

analysis of how we stand relative to last year.

League standing
    2018 - 6th
    2019 - 5th

Total Points
    2018 - 63
    2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
    2018 - 37
    2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
    2018 - 12
    2019 - 1

Goals for
    2018 - 74
    2019 - 73

Goals against
    2018 - 51
    2019 - 51

So a marginal improvement with the annual decline we were seeing under Wenger clearly arrested. Put in the context that it was Emery's first season where he had to - mostly - use Wenger's players, and he was implementing a new system and this strikes me as a very credibly first season return. Consider further that we we re doing much better than this when we were hit with long term defensive injuries which exposed the lack of depth in the squad and it looks even better, I think.

And now we have a European final with a chance to win our first European trophy in 25 years and a return to the Champions League. A couple of defenders and an attacking player and we should be in a good position to press on further next year.

All terribly exciting to see how Unai does, one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

League standing
    2018 - 6th
    2019 - 5th

Total Points
    2018 - 63
    2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
    2018 - 37
    2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
    2018 - 12
    2019 - 1

Goals for
    2018 - 74
    2019 - 73

Goals against
    2018 - 51
    2019 - 51

So a marginal improvement with the annual decline we were seeing under Wenger clearly arrested. Put in the context that it was Emery's first season where he had to - mostly - use Wenger's players, and he was implementing a new system and this strikes me as a very credibly first season return. Consider further that we we re doing much better than this when we were hit with long term defensive injuries which exposed the lack of depth in the squad and it looks even better, I think.

And now we have a European final with a chance to win our first European trophy in 25 years and a return to the Champions League. A couple of defenders and an attacking player and we should be in a good position to press on further next year.

It is only the last few weeks that has taken the gloss off this season, win the EL and it must be classed as a success imo
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross.
    What "first" round exits? Only if you discount the games we won
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    What "first" round exits? Only if you discount the games we won
    My bad. 2nd round. Still terrible for a club like Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bunnell View Post
    My bad. 2nd round. Still terrible for a club like Arsenal.
    League Cup can do one and we have loads of FA Cups. We couldn't have coped with the fixtures and EL more important.

John Bunnell "Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross."

Somewhere alongside that run of 11 wins on the spin in that 20+ match unbeaten sequence
    10 characters? Pile of cund.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva Prat Vegas View Post
    John Bunnell "Where does the fact we had our worst run of results since the 60s in the league stand? And also first round exits in the FA Cup & League Cup? Season has been utter dross."

Somewhere alongside that run of 11 wins on the spin in that 20+ match unbeaten sequence
    Sadly for us, Bunnell falls into the 'intellectually dimwitted and naturally dismal enough to not bother with evidence which doesn't support his views' category. And you know, you just know, he will be watching/following the match desperately hoping that we lose so that he can come back and spout more of his garbage about the club he allegedly supports.

See also AFC East.

League standing
    2018 - 6th
    2019 - 5th

Total Points
    2018 - 63
    2019 - 70

Points behind Champions
    2018 - 37
    2019 - 28

Points behind 4th place
    2018 - 12
    2019 - 1

Goals for
    2018 - 74
    2019 - 73

Goals against
    2018 - 51
    2019 - 51

I think it's obvious that emery doesn't rate the full backs, bar possibly bellerin. He'll need to sort that out in the summer.

I'd say kolasinac and mustafi need to **** off. Mikitarian (I can't even be arsed to try and spell his name) can go as well. Ramsey and wellbeck already gone. He has a bit of work to do in the summer.

I cant say I've been impressed this season apart from the odd game here and there. Even Wenger's last seasons saw the players turn up every now and then.

Did we get better in the league as Emery's influence had more time to take root?