Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yeah, about that 'decline' we're supposedly arresting...

Yeah, about that 'decline' we're supposedly arresting...

It's interesting that the stats support what is evident to the meanest of intellects; that rather than improving this season, we have become the footballing equivalent of a glass of water.

Wow, you really are desperate. I had always thought your anti-Emery stance was a wind up.

Anyway, that's almost all nonsense as the only thing that matters really are trophies, league placing and points (I would put them in that order).

And on the points front his conclusion is 'Even if we win both games this wouldn't be a massive improvement on the last 10 years or so.'

And you're using this as proof of the Emery not having stopped the decline under Wenger?

And are you now accepting that we were in decline under Wenger?

My god, you are a loon if you use that...expected goals for v expected goals against!! FFS, we also have the highest convertion factor of actual goals v expected goals, so using that we have improved.

Now to move onto points you couldn't be bothered with earlier. in his first 50 games he has won more games than any other manager, how is that not an improvement??
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's interesting that the stats support what is evident to the meanest of intellects; that rather than improving this season, we have become the footballing equivalent of a glass of water.
    Worse in pretty much every metric and we play crappy football.

Still, at least we've got 'hope' now, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    Wow, you really are desperate. I had always thought your anti-Emery stance was a wind up.

Anyway, that's almost all nonsense as the only thing that matters really are trophies, league placing and points (I would put them in that order).

And on the points front his conclusion is 'Even if we win both games this wouldn't be a massive improvement on the last 10 years or so.'

And you're using this as proof of the Emery not having stopped the decline under Wenger?

Oh, and if our goals for and against are linear for the next two games we will finish almost exactly where we did last year in both categories. He's engaging in number games by looking at the last 5 years, the valid comparison is to last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Worse in pretty much every metric and we play crappy football.

Still, at least we've got 'hope' now, eh?
    I wouldn't be terribly fussed about poor results in the first season while a new manager imposes his ideas and teaches his players a new system. What concerns me is that there doesn't seem to be a coherent idea or an identifiable system. "What's the vision Unai?" I ask, plaintively. Sadly, answer comes there none. Well nothing comprehensible, anyway.

T'other way about, I'd've said? You can only really develop by winning lots of games. Otherwise, a manager won't get the time for visions and systems and all that rot.

"Wengerball" didn't begin in '97, for example, did it. He'd inherited a squad full of big lads who just liked kicking people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    I wouldn't be terribly fussed about poor results in the first season while a new manager imposes his ideas and teaches his players a new system. What concerns me is that there doesn't seem to be a coherent idea or an identifiable system. "What's the vision Unai?" I ask, plaintively. Sadly, answer comes there none. Well nothing comprehensible, anyway.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post

Er, no. The point is that last season was a massive aberration in Wenger's time at Arsenal (much of which is probably attributable to him being kicked out). Compared to pretty much every other previous season under Wenger, Emery's record so far is appreciably worse.

And from 2014-18, Wenger delivered three trophies and 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 5th and 6th (the aberration).

So, by your own logic if (as seems likely) we finish 6th and do not win the Europa League, you must accept that we have not improved on last year and are, in fact, doing worse than at most points in the last five years?

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    T'other way about, I'd've said? You can only really develop by winning lots of games. Otherwise, a manager won't get the time for visions and systems and all that rot.

"Wengerball" didn't begin in '97, for example, did it. He'd inherited a squad full of big lads who just liked kicking people.
    But I think that's the point, isn't it? He inherited a group of violent lumps, added Vieira and Petit and turned them into Brazil. Bould to Adams, and that sums it all up, doesn't it? That was Arsene's vision.

What's Unai's vision?