Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night I experienced one of the most traumatic events of my life.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Last night I experienced one of the most traumatic events of my life.

Whether there is a way back from this, I really don't know. I'm in a deep, deep pit of despair.

I had a, and I can hardly bear to write the words, bad shawarma.

Hold me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    Whether there is a way back from this, I really don't know. I'm in a deep, deep pit of despair.

Hold me.
    Dear God. You poor, poor chap.

How did this happen? Where? What sort of a monster would do this?

Come on. Let it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Dear God. You poor, poor chap.

How did this happen? Where? What sort of a monster would do this?

Come on. Let it all out.
    I attended a diplomatic reception at the Carlton Tower and, replete with 5 pints of Guinness and a bottle of champagne, decided that solid food was in order. My colleague, a fellow shawarma enthusiast, had heard good things about a little place close by Victoria station, so forth we very much sallied.

The hummus was bland. The kabbis overly salty. The shawarma :sob: dry and bitter. The tahini sauce - non-existent.

The house red was... Montepulciano.

I feel dirty. Sullied.

I attended a diplomatic reception at the Carlton Tower and, replete with 5 pints of Guinness and a bottle of champagne, decided that solid food was in order. My colleague, a fellow shawarma enthusiast, had heard good things about a little place close by Victoria station, so forth we very much sallied.

The hummus was bland. The kabbis overly salty. The shawarma :sob: dry and bitter. The tahini sauce - non-existent.

The house red was... Montepulciano.

I feel dirty. Sullied.
    This is terrible.

I assume it was this place?

http://www.cafenouf.co.uk/

If it's any consolation, I had some excellent meals in Lisbon. The single best dish was the starter of clams at this place.

https://www.gambrinuslisboa.com/

It was a lovely place. Wood-panelled, with old-fashioned middle-aged waiters in maroon jackets filleting fish and preparing crepes suzette all over the place. Marvellous - once I'd looked at the prices, swallowed, taken a deep breath and just got on with it.

The best all-round meal experience, though, was a lunch in Bellem, where what looked like an unprepossessing local bar called Os Jeronimos turned out to be absolutely wonderful, with the proprietor offering us free samples of the menu, recommending a delicious scabbard fish (filleted perfectly by him at the table). And, by contrast, for four people plus two bottles of wine, it came to less than 100 Euros. The only thing I regret was not trying what was effectively a schweinhaxe, which looked excellent.
    Last edited by Burney; 04-30-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    This is terrible.

I assume it was this place?

http://www.cafenouf.co.uk/

If it's any consolation, I had some excellent meals in Lisbon. The single best dish was the starter of clams at this place.

https://www.gambrinuslisboa.com/

It was a lovely place. Wood-panelled, with old-fashioned middle-aged waiters in maroon jackets filleting fish and preparing crepes suzette all over the place. Marvellous - once I'd looked at the prices, swallowed, taken a deep breath and just got on with it.

The best all-round meal experience, though, was a lunch in Bellem, where what looked like an unprepossessing local bar called Os Jeronimos turned out to be absolutely wonderful, with the proprietor offering us free samples of the menu, recommending a delicious scabbard fish (filleted perfectly by him at the table). And, by contrast, for four people plus two bottles of wine, it came to less than 100 Euros. The only thing I regret was not trying what was effectively a schweinhaxe, which looked excellent.
    Café Oof, more like. Amirite?

I am pleased that you ate well in Portugal. I do like an old-fashioned restaurant such as you describe. I can't remember the last time I watched a Maitre d' flambée his eyebrows off at the table.

There is an unprepossessing-looking restaurant on Orpington High St, near to Xi'an, claiming to offer Thai, Malaysia and Indonesian food. Obviously one avoids such places as a matter of course, but something causeed me to check the menu wherein I found areference to roti canai... this intrigued me enough to give the place a try.

Plastic chairs, plastic wipe clean table cloths, a young chap front of house and his wife in the kitchen, and absolutely heavenly roti canai, mee goreng, laksa and Thai fishcakes. Amazing. What a find! We've been twice in a week and may return for a third visit tonight.

I am pleased that you ate well in Portugal. I do like an old-fashioned restaurant such as you describe. I can't remember the last time I watched a Maitre d' flambée his eyebrows off at the table.

There is an unprepossessing-looking restaurant on Orpington High St, near to Xi'an, claiming to offer Thai, Malaysia and Indonesian food. Obviously one avoids such places as a matter of course, but something causeed me to check the menu wherein I found areference to roti canai... this intrigued me enough to give the place a try.

Plastic chairs, plastic wipe clean table cloths, a young chap front of house and his wife in the kitchen, and absolutely heavenly roti canai, mee goreng, laksa and Thai fishcakes. Amazing. What a find! We've been twice in a week and may return for a third visit tonight.
    You'd have loved it. I mean it cost me the thick end of 500 quid, but what the fúck, eh?

You'd also love the old bar in the Avenida Palace Hotel. It was the haunt of all the spies in the War and is all plush leather, mahogany and brass. They also know how to make a drink. All bars should be like this imo.

While I'm delighted you have found a nice place to eat, I do wish you'd stop telling me how much Orpington is gentrifying just as I cash out my property there for a price well below market value.

Talking of Orpington, most disappointing to see another local business that had been thriving come to an abrupt end.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...57035865207998

Hold me.
    Shut up about farkin poncy food for once and tell us - are your precious little dutch boys - some of whom you have no doubt personally nonced - going to do the business tonight or what? God's teeth man, we are on the cusp of a catastrophe unparalleled in our history and all you can do is complain about some wog food you had tasting like wog food.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Shut up about farkin poncy food for once and tell us - are your precious little dutch boys - some of whom you have no doubt personally nonced - going to do the business tonight or what? God's teeth man, we are on the cusp of a catastrophe unparalleled in our history and all you can do is complain about some wog food you had tasting like wog food.
    Look h. You know, as well as I do, that since Berni sold us out to Shaitan for some stickball nonsense, the footballing Gods hate us.

I foresee Glory Glory for Tottenham Hotspurs, and there's fúck all we can do about it except drop our trousers and pants, bend forward, grip our ankles and grit our teeth.

Amen.

Look h. You know, as well as I do, that since Berni sold us out to Shaitan for some stickball nonsense, the footballing Gods hate us.

I foresee Glory Glory for Tottenham Hotspurs, and there's fúck all we can do about it except drop our trousers and pants, bend forward, grip our ankles and grit our teeth.

Amen.
    It's been a while since I could grip my ankles, tbf. Would knees be OK?