Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sir C - the smoker's arrived

Sir C - the smoker's arrived

What's your charcoal of choice? Hardwood lump? Any favoured brands? Where do you purchase?

Do you chuck woodchip on top?

Also, recipes. Gimme recipes.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Monty92; 04-25-2019 at 10:05 AM.

Get yourself on this website

https://amazingribs.com/

You have a lot to learn and a long journey ahead, but it will be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    What's your charcoal of choice? Hardwood lump? Any favoured brands? Where do you purchase?

Thanks.
    What have you bought?

I use hardwood lump, obviously. I generally use Big K Restaurant Grade, but I've just bought a box of Kamado Big Block and a bag of CPL to try as well. I order from Amazon.

Make sure you have proper lighting technique. For God's sake avoid chemicals! There are plenty on the market.

There's little point having a smoker if you don't apply some wood for, you know, smoke. Take care not to add too much, and research which wood suits which dishes. Apple makes sense with pork, for example, or oak with beef.

Make sure you have a good probe thermometer. I use a Meater for large joints, a Thermopro Dual for smaller cuts and a Habor for instant read.

Temperature control is key. You simply have to practise. If I were you I would start with large pork shoulders as these are quite forgiving.

As for recipes, there are a million youtube videos out there, but the basic rules are usually the same: apply your rub of choice (I tend to make my own because commercial ones contain too much sugar for me) bang your meat on the grill, spend 8 hours making your barbecue sauce, checking the temperature and drinking beer, then eat about a 20th of the enormous lump of meat you've ruined

Thanks.
    Also get yourself a decent injector and prepare to squirt apple juice and vinegar into your meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    spend 8 hours making your barbecue sauce, checking the temperature and drinking beer, then eat about a 20th of the enormous lump of meat you've ruined
    That lazy little **** Monty is now already in the process of sending it back. A leetle beet too much work d'ya see

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    That lazy little **** Monty is now already in the process of sending it back. A leetle beet too much work d'ya see
    It's not work though h, is it? It's... man's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What have you bought?

I use hardwood lump, obviously. I generally use Big K Restaurant Grade, but I've just bought a box of Kamado Big Block and a bag of CPL to try as well. I order from Amazon.

Make sure you have proper lighting technique. For God's sake avoid chemicals! There are plenty on the market.

There's little point having a smoker if you don't apply some wood for, you know, smoke. Take care not to add too much, and research which wood suits which dishes. Apple makes sense with pork, for example, or oak with beef.

Make sure you have a good probe thermometer. I use a Meater for large joints, a Thermopro Dual for smaller cuts and a Habor for instant read.

Temperature control is key. You simply have to practise. If I were you I would start with large pork shoulders as these are quite forgiving.

As for recipes, there are a million youtube videos out there, but the basic rules are usually the same: apply your rub of choice (I tend to make my own because commercial ones contain too much sugar for me) bang your meat on the grill, spend 8 hours making your barbecue sauce, checking the temperature and drinking beer, then eat about a 20th of the enormous lump of meat you've ruined
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks man. This is all useful.

I was reading that briquettes are better for smoking, and lumpwood for standard grilling, as briquettes stay hot for longer.

I got me a charcoal starter for ease of lighting:

Thanks man. This is all useful.

I was reading that bruquettes are better for smoking, and lumpwood for standard grilling, as bruquettes stay hot for longer.

I got me a charcoal starter for ease of lighting:

Nice. Be interesting to see hear how it goes.

BBriquettes contain chemicals. One load of decent lumpwood burns for 12 hours in my Kamado.

A starter chimney is good but beware; use only kitchen paper and vegetable oil to get it going, NOI CHEMICALS! and don't let your charcoal go too long or else you'll never keep the temperature down. You want it barely burning when it goies into the smoker.

How was the pub, Monty?

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    I spent 3 hours constructing a trampoline for the garden the other day. I've had to moisturise my hands about 6 times a day to get them back to their previous condition