Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Thread: What's the betting they put a fúcking minaret on it?

What's the betting they put a fúcking minaret on it?

#UPDATE France will invite architects from around the world to submit designs for rebuilding the spire of Notre-Dame cathedral that was destroyed in a devastating blaze, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe says

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post

#UPDATE France will invite architects from around the world to submit designs for rebuilding the spire of Notre-Dame cathedral that was destroyed in a devastating blaze, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe says
    Well it would ensure it wouldn't get torched again...
    'Seems that I was busy doing something close to nothing
    But different than the day before'

'Met a dwarf that was no good, dressed like Little Red Riding Hood'

'Now you're unemployed, all non-void
    Walkin' round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd'

Worked for the Hagia Sophia. Fantastic tourist attraction.

They are definitely going to fúck it up, aren't they?

“Any rebuilding should be a reflection not of an old France, or the France that never was — a non-secular, white European France — but a reflection of the France of today...”

Besides which, have you seen modern French architecture? It's utterly shocking.

Oi Dutch .. did you see that Star of David flag in teh middle of the Ajax mob? I thought you cloggies were all ardent Monty haters?

You're not wrong about Notre Dame. The whiney, uptalking, appeasing snowflakes will be bandying the "multi-faith" phrase around within the next two hours I predict.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Besides which, have you seen modern French architecture? It's utterly shocking.
    You are Prince Charles and I claim my prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    Oi Dutch .. did you see that Star of David flag in teh middle of the Ajax mob? I thought you cloggies were all ardent Monty haters?

You're not wrong about Notre Dame. The whiney, uptalking, appeasing snowflakes will be bandying the "multi-faith" phrase around within the next two hours I predict.
    Ajax are the Tottenham of Holland in that respect. Hence rival teams singing at them 'Hamas! Hamas! Jews to the gas!' (only in Dutch).

Lovely banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    You are Prince Charles and I claim my prize.
    Because I don't like French modern architecture? No. Sorry. You're wrong.

I think Charles is immensely wrong about architecture, as the absurd film set he calls a town in Poundbury shows.

Ajax are the Tottenham of Holland in that respect. Hence rival teams singing at them 'Hamas! Hamas! Jews to the gas!' (only in Dutch).

Lovely banter.
    Who among us hasn't stood on the terraces of old WHL proudly bellowing "It stinks of gas in here" b?

Because I don't like French modern architecture? No. Sorry. You're wrong.

I think Charles is immensely wrong about architecture, as the absurd film set he calls a town in Poundbury shows.
    I hate to sound reactionary but I agree with you 100%.

That little area that includes the Louvre, Hotel de Ville and Nôtre Dame is one of the most architecturally stunning areas on the planet. I've spent months living to the south of there in the 5e and to the east in the 4e.

I can't believe they let Rogers le Rosbif build that vile Pompidou Centre round Châtelet.

But the pyramid in front of the Louvre is probably the edifice I hate most on the planet. They ruined as beautiful palace as any on the planet.

And while I don't share your Muzzie paranoia, if you start telling lost its that if a church gets trashed, they'll rebuild it as secular, then it encourages them to trash it. Like when the Hindutva nazis trashed the Ayodhya mosque in '92 so they can build a Ram temple on top of it.

Why don't they just rebuild the spire exactly as it was?

It was beautiful. If I was walking along Rue Rivoli or the left bank, I'd just glance up to get my bearings.

Look at their one centre-ville skyscraper, the Montparnasse tower. It's even uglier than ours. And the ones out at La Défense are no better.

I'm no fan of Charlie either, but you're right about modern French architecture. They should get Baron Haussman to build all the new buildings.

And give me my wooden spire back just as it was.