Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've had a request from the glw.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Lamb is the traditional Easter meal, of course. And, while that makes sense seasonally and in terms of the pagan roots of the festival, in Christian terms the symbolic significance of lamb (agnus dei and so forth) makes it a bit fúcking weird, doesn't it?
    Yes. I was always somewhat puzzled by trhe exact process by which God's lamb removed human sin.

Religion's weird.

Ooh, and I'm also going to make a variety of naan or roti using the extremely high temperatures possible in the Kamado Joe, with a pizza stone. It's like having a tandoor!

Lamb is the traditional Easter meal, of course. And, while that makes sense seasonally and in terms of the pagan roots of the festival, in Christian terms the symbolic significance of lamb (agnus dei and so forth) makes it a bit fúcking weird, doesn't it?
    tbf when "we" believe that we are eating the body of christ in communion, a bit of the old lamb is hardly going to make things much weirder

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    tbf when "we" believe that we are eating the body of christ in communion, a bit of the old lamb is hardly going to make things much weirder
    It's nice that on special occasions we get a sip of blood to wash it down, though. Nothing strange there, no sirree.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    You keep your dirty heretic talk to yourself in Easter Week, la!

Mind you, I'll bet they're going mad for it down your way, aren't they? I've always found German Catholicism to be particularly visceral. Their paintings and statues of the crucified Christ would give you nightmares for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    It's nice that on special occasions we get a sip of blood to wash it down, though. Nothing strange there, no sirree.
    Look, it's one thing consuming the consecrated host in a holy and mysterious ritual thousands of years old. It's quite another serving up the symbolic Lamb of God with roast potatoes, mint sauce and gravy.

You keep your dirty heretic talk to yourself in Easter Week, la!

Mind you, I'll bet they're going mad for it down your way, aren't they? I've always found German Catholicism to be particularly visceral. Their paintings and statues of the crucified Christ would give you nightmares for weeks.
    I went to easter Sunday mass in Salzburg a couple of years ago. I must say, the German language is surprisingly well suited to the liturgy. It was rather a moving ceremony.

Then I went and gorged myself on the Stelze

Look, it's one thing consuming the consecrated host in a holy and mysterious ritual thousands of years old. It's quite another serving up the symbolic Lamb of God with roast potatoes, mint sauce and gravy.
    Mint sauce is a strange thing, isn't it? Let's be absolutely honest here: no one is eating it for the mint. It's the vinegar, cutting through the lamb grease, that's doing the work.

Just put a bottle of Sarson's on the table and be done with it.

I went to easter Sunday mass in Salzburg a couple of years ago. I must say, the German language is surprisingly well suited to the liturgy. It was rather a moving ceremony.

Then I went and gorged myself on the Stelze
    You know what's not OK? Eisbein. Why would they turn what could have been a perfectly good Schweinhaxe into a gelatinous, fatty mess? Dirty Berlin bástards.
    Last edited by Burney; 04-17-2019 at 09:17 AM.

Mint sauce is a strange thing, isn't it? Let's be absolutely honest here: no one is eating it for the mint. It's the vinegar, cutting through the lamb grease, that's doing the work.

Just put a bottle of Sarson's on the table and be done with it.
    Of course. But mint and lamb do work together - hence the prevalence of dried mint in Greek and Middle Eastern lamb dishes.

Besides, the French serve shoulder of lamb with capers and vinegar for the same reason. You wouldn't say 'lose the capers', though, would you?

You know what's not OK? Eisbein. Why would they turn what could have been a perfectly good Schweinhaxe into a gelatinous, fatty mess? Dirty Berlin bástards.
    I had it once in a bar in Hamburg; it was late and I'd been driving all day and I was starving. They gave me this knuckle on a wooden platter with a sharp knife, a pot of mustard and a basket of rye bread, and I confess, my memory is of a magical experience.

I may just have been hungry, though.

I believe that on that same trip I was served rare fillet of hare for breakfast. Dirty German bástards.