Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmmm. Churches in France do seem to be suffering a terrible run of luck lately.

Good point. I missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Here's something that never happens in normal fire investigations: people ruling out arson while the thing's still smoking.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Last time I was there, I seem to remember the nearest thing to security was some bástard jewing money out of you at the door.
    Surely you remember the metal detectors, the scanners, the armed guards, the close-questioning, the racial profiling? Getting into Notre Dame with a book of matches is just as hard as entering the flight deck of a 787 carrying an AK47, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir C View Post
    What a lot of old bollócks. How much security is there around a cathedral, for Christ's sake?
    Loads since Sept 11
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Loads since Sept 11
    What security is there at any cathedral that's going to stop you getting in with a box of matches and a can of lighter fluid. Go on, tell me. I double dare you.

What security is there at any cathedral that's going to stop you getting in with a box of matches and a can of lighter fluid. Go on, tell me. I double dare you.
    I was wondering when someone was going to point out that setting fire to an 800 year-old, wood-framed building wasn't exactly Mission Impossible.

Last time I was there, I seem to remember the nearest thing to security was some bástard jewing money out of you at the door.
    You object to contributing to the upkeep of priceless buildings that you visit? My word. Who do you expect to pay for it? Johnny Taxpayer? CEO of Gucci?

What a lot of old bollócks. How much security is there around a cathedral, for Christ's sake?
    They search you and your bags when you go in. How is this so difficult to understand? There are also always a min of 3 policemen with guns outside at most 15 yards from the entrance or exit (different doors.)

There's always a queue of a min or two to 30 mins. And at that time, it's quite busy.

The place inside is rammed with tourists taking photos. There is no quiet corner to start a fire. You have to know how to get up into the loft from inside the church, which probably involves going into the back bit which is all fenced off cos they don't want you nicking holy water or whatever.

You've got to do that with **** loads of tourists looking at you, snapping you on their phones, get up, start a fire, get down, and get out without anyone having seen you, or got the security or fuzz, with the room begining to burn.

I've spent the last 3 months 'round that church. It just isn't possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    You object to contributing to the upkeep of priceless buildings that you visit? My word. Who do you expect to pay for it? Johnny Taxpayer? CEO of Gucci?
    How about...ooooh, let's see...the Roman Catholic Church? They're not short of a bob or two - even with all the nonce money they've had to pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    They search you and your bags when you go in. How is this so difficult to understand? There are also always a min of 3 policemen with guns outside at most 15 yards from the entrance or exit (different doors.)

There's always a queue of a min or two to 30 mins. And at that time, it's quite busy.

The place inside is rammed with tourists taking photos. There is no quiet corner to start a fire. You have to know how to get up into the loft from inside the church, which probably involves going into the back bit which is all fenced off cos they don't want you nicking holy water or whatever.

You've got to do that with **** loads of tourists looking at you, snapping you on their phones, get up, start a fire, get down, and get out without anyone having seen you, or got the security or fuzz, with the room begining to burn.

I've spent the last 3 months 'round that church. It just isn't possible.
    Do they confiscate cigarette lighters then? And - given all the renovation work going on - would anyone look twice at someone dressed like a workman going up into the roof area? I doubt it.

Surely you remember the metal detectors, the scanners, the armed guards, the close-questioning, the racial profiling? Getting into Notre Dame with a book of matches is just as hard as entering the flight deck of a 787 carrying an AK47, you know.
    You don't need matches. They have loads of candles to light. But how are you going to get into the loft from a crowded hurch full of tourists where alll the front bit is fenced off? You can sit on a pew in front on the fence, or go down the sides where all the little nooks with saints and candles are. But you can't clamber over a fence, have a root round the back trying to find how you get up to the loft, get upstairs etc etc with no-one seeing.

More planes full of tourists have been kidnapped in my lifetime than major, guarded cathedrals full of toursists have been toarched. Fact.

There is no way someone queued up, went past security and got into the loft at 7pm. Not a chance.