Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what point does an honest shot like that from Torreira get deemed an own goal

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Unless the deflection is deliberate, yes. After all, intent is taken into account in other areas of the laws, why not in the question of goalscoring*?

*Yes, yes, I know who scores isn't a question as far as the laws are concerned, since it doesn't actually matter.
    I think you should stick to sport(s) you know something about....
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monty92 View Post
    Umm, I was only joking.
    I'm sure you were. I needed a rant this morning though

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    I think you should stick to sport(s) you know something about....
    You could at least try and present a half-decent counter-argument, p.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    You could at least try and present a half-decent counter-argument, p.
    Something deflected for a throw, in your rules wouldn't always be awarded to the team who didn't touch it last

I
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokster View Post
    Something deflected for a throw, in your rules wouldn't always be awarded to the team who didn't touch it last

I
    Yes, but there is no requirement to attribute responsibility for throw-ins to an individual, so you're not really comparing apples and apples, are you?

Rightly or wrongly, the authorities feel the need to attribute goals to individuals. In itself this is somewhat ludicrous in a team sport, but given that it is the case, there should be some logic to the awarding of goals. Clearly the last attacking player to make a deliberate attempt on goal is the prime mover in the scoring of that goal (regardless of any subsequent accidental touches) and should therefore get the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Anaconda View Post
    No, because the as any two-year-old would know the accreditation of a goal has absolutely no effect on the score. What you are suggesting is outside the laws of the game and would deeply change it. It matters no a jot that GG may have got a touch to Eddie Kelly's shot in 71 or Sunderland may have beaten Talbot to the ball in 79. It changes nothing that these goals may have been given to the wrong men. It does matter that the ball was 95 million miles over the line before being crossed in for the Newcastle equaliser in the 1932 Cup final or Stephane "Two Keepers" Henchoz smashed the ball off the line with his hand in 2001.
    I agree 100%. One point of order, Georgie ****ing Graham did not touch that ball, no matter what he says and Eddie Kelly was the first super-sub in a Cup Final.