Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I see there's one of those 'The Universe is Really Big' videos doing the rounds on

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Augustus Chapman View Post
    That's incredible. I had always thought that talk of different planes, astral or otherwise and "out-of-body" phenomena were the stuff 'o nonsense gan - oh wait! I still do
    Care to give me a rationalist explanation for what happened?

{Btw, when you've actually experienced the Pure Love of Divinity, actually physically experienced it, you know that it's not some hallucination. That it's real, in fact more real than our reality. Oh, and if you've ever glanced Eternity you'll know it really is a long ****ing time. Like longer than everything, ever.}

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post
    Mesopotamia's more S than East compared to Palestine, isn't it? And what was the religion of pre-Islamic Iraq?

I suppose they could be Persian Zoroastrianism, and there are some similarities with Vedism as it stems from the Proto-Indo-Iranian tradition, but there are just too many similarities with Buddhism.

Once you look only at the words of Jeez himself (not any letters or whatever) and you imagine a hippy Buddhist trying to explain the religion in words of one syllable to a bunch of Classical era Jews, it sort of makes sense.

Eg turn the other cheek, not eye for an eye. Because we should do unto others etc.
    No, due East really. Not sure what was happening at year zero but before that you had the Babylonians and Assyrians and Sumerians. Possibly Hittites. They were all quite smitey tbf, and were quite into the King-as-God number, like the Egyptians.

Hah! Eureka! King of the Jews, eh? QED

Quote Originally Posted by Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult View Post

{Btw, when you've actually experienced the Pure Love of Divinity, actually physically experienced it, you know that it's not some hallucination. That it's real, in fact more real than our reality. Oh, and if you've ever glanced Eternity you'll know it really is a long ****ing time. Like longer than everything, ever.}
    I was a far more spritual creature when I was younger ganp. I would have out of the body experiences which I now believe may have been nothing more than lucid dreams.

I would also have exhilerating flying dreams in which I could propel myself to the stratosphere before gravity would lose pateince and I would turn round and hurtle earthwards at incredible velocity.

And I would often hear music that was multi-layered and fantastic, mutli-dimensional even and though I was listening to it I was also actually creating it in my mind.

None of these things happen anymore and I miss them but there was a darker side I do not miss. I would occasionally feel myself visited by a force that was unimaginably and pungently evil such that I would I was about to forfeit my very soul - how one might feel if one drifted too close to a black hole.

The terror that gripped me would grow exponentially so that it could only last a couple of seconds before I would wake and andI would be quite shaken for a couple of days. It felt to me that Satan himself had gazed on me. I still tremble slightly remembering it.

As the memories fade I begin to think it was all inside my own nut and to be honest, a whole years worth of flying like a god isn't worth a single second in the company of The Devil.

Temporal dislocation, perhaps. Bell's theorem of non-local connectivity raises some interesting possibilities about dimensions of space and time. Doesn't prove there's a god though - just that there can be scientific explanations for metaphysical data.

I was a far more spritual creature when I was younger ganp. I would have out of the body experiences which I now believe may have been nothing more than lucid dreams.

I would also have exhilerating flying dreams in which I could propel myself to the stratosphere before gravity would lose pateince and I would turn round and hurtle earthwards at incredible velocity.

And I would often hear music that was multi-layered and fantastic, mutli-dimensional even and though I was listening to it I was also actually creating it in my mind.

None of these things happen anymore and I miss them but there was a darker side I do not miss. I would occasionally feel myself visited by a force that was unimaginably and pungently evil such that I would I was about to forfeit my very soul - how one might feel if one drifted too close to a black hole.

The terror that gripped me would grow exponentially so that it could only last a couple of seconds before I would wake and andI would be quite shaken for a couple of days. It felt to me that Satan himself had gazed on me. I still tremble slightly remembering it.

As the memories fade I begin to think it was all inside my own nut and to be honest, a whole years worth of flying like a god isn't worth a single second in the company of The Devil.
    Are you sure though? They say the Devil has the best choons, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Are you sure though? They say the Devil has the best choons, after all.
    No mate, that's just an old music aphorism. I really cannot articulate sufficiently how terrifying that spirit is. The abiding sense I was always left with was its enormous, immeasurable power.

Hold me Ash, for I am afraid again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Temporal dislocation, perhaps. Bell's theorem of non-local connectivity raises some interesting possibilities about dimensions of space and time. Doesn't prove there's a god though - just that there can be scientific explanations for metaphysical data.
    Why does the scientific explanation disprove there's a God? Or prove there's a God?

The Big Bang, the splitting off of the four fundamental forces, the matter-anti-matter annihilation, the left over matter starting to fuse into protons, the formation of H, the gravity pulling it into stars, the let there be light fusion to He, and the creation of all other elements in dying stars of different sizes could be used to say there's no God, there's just laws of physics. Or it could be looking at how God Himself created the world.

{Personally, I think the whole of everything suddenly turning up from nowhere creating space time in an infinitesimally small, infinitesimally dense, infinitesimally hot point looks like the sort of stunt Shiva would pull when He's especially stoned, but I have no evidence to support this.}

Again, these elements from dying stars drifting here over 10m years until the creation of our solar system 4-5bya, and then forming molecules of increasing complexity until they suddenly start self-replicating and forming unicellular life could just be the laws of physics.

Or it could just be Shiva cheating after a particularly large chillum made His 3rd Eye twitch open a bit.

Likewise the fact that this unicellular life just dosses around for 3 bn years before suddenly exploding into multicellular life which eventually leads human consciousness to rise as if by magic in a period of only a 100k years, 1 bn years later could again just be the laws of physics.

Or you and I using this consciousness to discuss this subject, despite never having met, could just be Shiva using two tiny parts of His creation to try to understand Himself better.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, init?

That's actually really interesting.

I have no idea why some people can feel that evil, satanic side, while others, while still having dark or bad trips, know it's simply the Divine being pissed off with them or mocking them. They never see or believe in any evil/anti-God/devil stuff.

I really don't know.

I argued about this spirituality with one of my best mates for years. (A West London sperzer of Irish extraction.) He told me that he'd been vaguely interested in the idea of satanism as a kid (perhaps a reaction to Catholic parents) but once when the was off it years later, the devil turned up ask asked if he really wanted to get to know him. To which my mate started whimpering "nooooo" and he just disappeared.

But last year, after 20 years of arguing about this, and giving me all the same rationalist stuff you have, he did a really big line of K under the duvet and Jesus and Buddha walked him to God, which he describes as Pure Love. As I'd been saying for 20 years.

But hey, perhaps I put that idea in his head. Or perhaps this is a state that people are evolving to, just like we evolved life, then complex life then consciousness.

Again, you pays you money.....

No mate, that's just an old music aphorism. I really cannot articulate sufficiently how terrifying that spirit is. The abiding sense I was always left with was its enormous, immeasurable power.

Hold me Ash, for I am afraid again.
    Exactly. I've glimpsed that a couple of times, and it is absolutely terrifying. Now imagine the inverse. You know how powerful and dark and scary and evil that felt? Imagine that as a positive pure love feeling. For hours on end.

But I've only seen that twice in the "I'm really the Devil - only kidding, just testing, lad, well done, you passed" kinda way.

But those two glances are all I need thank you very much.

I don't believe in satan or whatever. I just believe in God and know that He can take the right piss if He wants.

But I've only seen that twice in the "I'm really the Devil - only kidding, just testing, lad, well done, you passed" kinda way.
    But those two glances are all I need thank you very much.
    Well I may well source some of this ketamin of which you speak and take a peek.*

*but it don't make you my shaman right - you old fraud!