Click here for Arsenal FC news and reports

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I couldn't really give a flying toss, especially as I think moving to their new

Now I couldn't really give a flying toss, especially as I think moving to their new

stadium now will count against them rather than inspire them to 7 straight wins. But I don't know why nothing is being made of being able to change your home stadium partway during the season. I've just had a dig around the archives as I was sure something had been said about it before and sure enough I found this quote from Scudamore when they were debating playing some games at Wembley and some at MK Dons during their redevelopment season.

“They’d have to play in the same stadium for the entire year,” he said. “For the integrity of the competition. You can’t have 19 home games with 10 at Milton Keynes and nine at Wembley – completely, completely unfair. That won’t be allowed in our competition.”
    So how are they allowed to do this now?

Yes, I remember that quote and thought it was bannicks at the time. What has "the integrity of the competition" got to do with it? Why on earth is it "unfair"? What difference does it make?

And that coming from the chap that wanted everyone to play an extra league game in Hong Kong and Houston or whatever damn silly idea it was

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post
    stadium now will count against them rather than inspire them to 7 straight wins. But I don't know why nothing is being made of being able to change your home stadium partway during the season. I've just had a dig around the archives as I was sure something had been said about it before and sure enough I found this quote from Scudamore when they were debating playing some games at Wembley and some at MK Dons during their redevelopment season.

Last edited by redgunamo; 04-03-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Yes, I remember that quote and thought it was bannicks at the time. What has "the integrity of the competition" got to do with it? Why on earth is it "unfair"? What difference does it make?

And that coming from the chap that wanted everyone to play an extra league game in Hong Kong and Houston or whatever damn silly idea it was
    I believe the idea is that there is an advantage in playing in your *real* home stadium so if one team played you there but another team played in a madey uppy home stadium the latter has an advantage over the former.

But I expect you realised this and still hold the same view that it is b*llocks. And I concur. Load of nonsense, we have more important things to worry about. Like where to eat in Lyon in a few weeks time, as an example.

Not at all. Teams often play "home" games in stadia other than their own. Why would it be alright to do this in Miami but not Milton Keynes; why Washington DC but not at Wembley?

As for Lyon, you can't really go wrong with the local fare, especially if you stick to roast pork and the sausages. Should add though, that I haven't decided what or where to eat at any time in about twenty years of marriage...

Quote Originally Posted by WES View Post
    I believe the idea is that there is an advantage in playing in your *real* home stadium so if one team played you there but another team played in a madey uppy home stadium the latter has an advantage over the former.

But I expect you realised this and still hold the same view that it is b*llocks. And I concur. Load of nonsense, we have more important things to worry about. Like where to eat in Lyon in a few weeks time, as an example.
    "Plenty of strikers can score goals," he said, gesturing to the famous old stands casting shadows around us.

"But a lot have found it difficult wearing the number 9 shirt for The Arsenal."

Quote Originally Posted by Maravilloso Marvo View Post

Can't believe SSN have devoted a whole bloody day to the thing!!

Also idiots saying the reason the stadium cost so much is inflation. Inflation has been at about 1% for the past 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by PSRB View Post
    Can't believe SSN have devoted a whole bloody day to the thing!!

Also idiots saying the reason the stadium cost so much is inflation. Inflation has been at about 1% for the past 10 years!
    As there was a football stadium at that site before I would guess some of the infustructure was in place before the building started, they wouldn't need to sort out sewers as the place is one very large sewer anyway
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redgunamo View Post
    Not at all. Teams often play "home" games in stadia other than their own. Why would it be alright to do this in Miami but not Milton Keynes; why Washington DC but not at Wembley?

As for Lyon, you can't really go wrong with the local fare, especially if you stick to roast pork and the sausages. Should add though, that I haven't decided what or where to eat at any time in about twenty years of marriage...
    Is it far from you? Mrs WES will want to eat something less fatty. Possibly fish. Maybe soup. I want internal organs laden with fat.

It's going to be hard to reconcile which means that like you, I won't get a say.

Is it far from you? Mrs WES will want to eat something less fatty. Possibly fish. Maybe soup. I want internal organs laden with fat.

It's going to be hard to reconcile which means that like you, I won't get a say.
    Aim to eat in bouchons; that's where you'll fine authentic cuisine Lynnaise.

I went to an excellent one 5 or 6 times over the course of a couple of years and it was fantastic. It was in a little square by a church. Of course its name and location escape me entirely, so good luck finding it.

Lyon is all about the Andouillete, my friend. After all, who doesn't want a sausage that simply reeks of shít?

Actually, tripe is very much the Lyonnaise thing. See also Tablier de sapeur and Gras Double.

Tripe is, of course, rank.

Quote Originally Posted by Burney View Post
    Lyon is all about the Andouillete, my friend. After all, who doesn't want a sausage that simply reeks of shít?

Actually, tripe is very much the Lyonnaise thing. See also Tablier de sapeur and Gras Double.

Tripe is, of course, rank.
    Unless you went to the UAE where they would serve the best tripe in the world
    Northern Monkey ... who can't upload a bleeding Avatar